This homemade Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe is the perfect drink for the cooler weather, especially during the Holidays! A rich, creamy hot chocolate with mint flavoring, so delicious.
Serve this homemade peppermint hot cocoa charcuterie board style along with our classic hot chocolate and let your guests add their toppings!
PEPPERMINT HOT CHOCOLATE-
There is nothing better than enjoying a hot cup of peppermint hot chocolate during the colder days! The creamy and rich homemade hot cocoa recipe with the added peppermint extract has so much flavor. This hot drink recipe is going to become a family favorite drink, especially around Christmas time.
This recipe is based on our classic hot chocolate recipe! With just a few ingredients you can enjoy this delicious peppermint hot cocoa.
- SWEETENER– For the sweetener, you can use granulated sugar, maple syrup, or any other sweeteners you have on hand.
- COCOA POWDER– You want to make sure you are using unsweetened cocoa powder. We like to use the Hershey’s brand but you can use any of your favorite brands.
- MILK– For this recipe, you want to use whole milk or any of your go-to plant-based milk. If you want a thicker consistency of hot cocoa, you can add half and half with the milk.
- CHOCOLATE– Use semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, chunks, or chocolate savings for this hot chocolate.
- VANILLA– Vanilla extract for extra flavor but may be left out!
- PEPPERMINT– For the peppermint flavor you can use peppermint sticks, crushed peppermint or peppermint extract.
HOW TO MAKE PEPPERMINT HOT CHOCOLATE-
This creamy and rich homemade hot cocoa recipe comes together in under 15 minutes!
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together granulated sugar, cocoa powder, milk, chocolate chunks, vanilla, and peppermint flavoring.
- Place over medium heat and allow to come to a slight simmer, continuously whisking to avoid the burning.
- Continue cooking on medium low heat, whisking until all the chocolate has melted.
- Cool the hot cocoa mix to desired serving temperature, add into mugs and enjoy with your favorite toppings!
The best way to enjoy this homemade creamy peppermint hot cocoa is by adding your favorite added toppings!
Here are some of our favorite toppings:
- Crushed Candy Canes
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Syrup
- White Chocolate Syrup
- Mini Marshmallows
- Peppermint Marshmallows
- Crushed Peppermint
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Candy Canes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes, if you do not have peppermint extract on hand, you can use peppermint candy, candy canes, or crushed peppermint.
Yes! This recipe will make a great peppermint mocha, just replace ½ cup of milk with ½ cup of strong coffee.
Yes, this is great to make ahead of time! Just reheat when ready to serve and enjoy!
You can store any leftover hot cocoa in a glass jar with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
This is GREAT when served over ice. Allow hot cocoa to cool, then pour over ice and serve!
Reheat the hot cocoa in the microwave or over the stovetop until heated.
Yes, add all the hot cocoa mix into the slow cooker and whisk vigorously until all the powder is mixed in. Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
OTHER DRINK RECIPES-
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or add to desired sweetness
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups whole milk*
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, chunks or shavings
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint flavoring, to taste**
- Add the sugar, cocoa powder, milk, chocolate, vanilla, and peppermint flavoring into a medium saucepan. Whisk the mixture until well combined.
- Add the saucepan onto the stovetop and place over medium heat and bring to a light boil while constantly mixing. Continue mixing and cooking until all the chocolate has melted.
- Cook until the hot chocolate mixture is well incorporated and the chocolate has melted. TIP: Be sure not to bring the mixture to a boil or you will scorch the milk.
- Set aside to cool to your desired temperature and serve with your favorite toppings.