Sweet and decadent homemade Coffee Macarons. Delicate coffee macarons shells with a rich and creamy coffee buttercream frosting. This macaron flavor is for all coffee lovers!
The number of macaron flavors are endless, but these coffee macarons are by far my favorite (maybe because I have a love relationship with coffee)! The rich coffee flavors combined with a basic macaron shell along with the sweet and creamy buttercream makes for mini desserts you don’t want to pass up!
Make an extra batch and package them in THESE cute boxes and give them to your family and friends!
HOW TO MAKE COFFEE MACARONS-
Read our detailed post on how to make basic macarons. In the post, we share all our tips and tricks on how to get the perfect macarons every time!
What type of coffee do I need for this recipe?
For this macaron recipe, you want to use instant coffee, the finer the better. We love using THIS instant coffee for all of our baking needs.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and prepare a piping bag with a round tip.
- In a food processor or you can use a blender, add the instant coffee, almond four, and powdered sugar and process until incorporated.
- Sift the mixture through a sieve into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat room temp egg white with a blender on high until eggs begin to foam. Slowly add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add half of the flour mixture and gently fold with a spatula. Add the remaining flour mixture and continue the macaronage process until the mixture flows like honey.
PIPE OUT THE coffee MACARONS-
- Add the macaron batter into the prepared piping bag and pipe 1 ½ inch circles onto the prepared baking sheet. Space the macarons about 1 inch apart.
- Pick up and drop the baking sheet onto a flat surface about 4 times, rotating the baking sheet after each drop (this allows to release all the air bubbles from the shells).
- Allow the shells to sit at room temp for at least 45 minutes to an hour until shells form a glossy layer if you touch the top of the shell with your finger.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Bake the macarons for 12 minutes, until the macarons form feet.
- Allow macarons to cool before removing them from parchment paper.
- Transfer to the cooling rack and cool completely.
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese. Add the boiling water to the instant coffee and stir to combine, pour into the bowl. Add the powdered sugar and mix to combine. Pour in the whipping cream and beat until creamy.
ASSEMBLE THE MACARONS-
- Transfer filling to a piping bag with a round tip and pipe the cream into the macaron shells and top with another shell.
- Repeat with all the macarons.
- Place in an airtight container and allow it to mature for 24 hours.
French Coffee Macarons
coffee macaron shells-
prepare macaron shells-
- In a separate bowl, at high speed, beat egg whites until they begin to foam. Continually beating then slowly pour in the sugar and beat just until stiff peaks form.
- Add about half of the sifted coffee flour mixture into the egg white mixture and gently fold in with a spatula. Once incorporated, add remainingflour mixture and continue to gently fold until well the mixture flows like honey.
- Transfer the batter to the preparing piping bag. Pipe the batter forming about 1½ inch circles. Space the macarons about an inch apart.
- Pick up the baking sheet and drop onto a flat surface. Repeat 3-4 times to release all air bubbles rotating the baking sheet.
- Let the macaron shells sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour, until the macarons shells form a glossy layer. (You will be able to run your finger along the top of the macaron smoothly and the batterwon’t stick to your hand.)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Bake the macarons for about 12 minutes, until the macarons form feet and the shells don’t stick to the parchment paper.
- Allow the macarons to cool before removing them from the parchment paper for easier removal.
- Transfer the macarons to a cooling rack to completely cool.