The ULTIMATE Pistachio Macaron Recipe. Made with a basic pistachio shell and filled with a creamy pistachio buttercream filling. This macaron will become your favorite flavor!
I love the flavor of this easy macaron recipe! The added crushed pistachios in the shells and buttercream filling brings this macaron recipe to a whole new level.
These homemade macarons are great to make for any occasion, especially around the holidays and for parties.
HOW TO MAKE PISTACHIO MACARONS-
You can read all about our basic macaron shells post HERE. We share tips and troubleshooting there that apply to all macaron making.
MAKE THE MACARON SHELL-
- Prepare a piping bag with a round tip. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the pistachios until very fine.
- Add in the almond flour and powdered sugar and process until incorporated.
- Sift the mixture through a sieve into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat room temp egg white with a blender on high until eggs begin to foam. Continue beat while slowly adding in drops of gel food coloring until you reach the desired color. Slowly add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add half of the flour mixture and gently fold with a spatula. Add the remaining flour mixture and continue the macaronage process until the mixture flows like honey.
PIPE MACARON SHELLS-
- Add mixture to the prepared piping bag and pipe 1 1/2 inch circles onto the parchment paper. Space the macarons about 1-inch apart.
- Pick up the baking sheet and drop onto a flat surface, repeating about 4 times to release all air bubbles, rotating the sheet every drop.
- Allow the shells to sit at room temp for at least 30 minutes to an hour until shells form a glossy layer.
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Bake the macarons for 12 minutes, until the macarons form feet.
- Allow macarons to cool before removing from parchment paper to avoid sticking.
- Transfer to the cooling rack and cool completely.
PREPARE THE PISTACHIO BUTTERCREAM-
- In a bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter. Once creamed, add the powdered sugar and crushed pistachios and mix.
- Add in the heavy whipping cream and mix until fully combined.
- Transfer to a piping bag with a round tip and pipe cream into the macaron shell and top with another shell to form a sandwich.
- Repeat with all the macarons.
- Place in an airtight container and allow it to mature for 24 hours.