This classic homemade white bread recipe is everything you can ask for in bread. The loaf is so soft and fluffy and so EASY to make!
With detailed step-by-step photo instructions, you will have success with the bread recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
We love baking bread at home, especially if it is an easy recipe. There is just something so comforting about watching the bread come to life. From baking Classic Bread using a bread machine, or the crispy Italian Bread and the sweet Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, homemade breads can’t be beat.
White bread recipe-
This homemade bread recipe is a winner! Made with simple ingredients you already have in your kitchen, this bread will become your go-to recipe recipe for white bread. It’s so filling and hearty yet soft and airy at the same time.
The best part is you are missing all the added preservatives you normally get when purchasing store-bought bread.
How to Make white bread-
Though you can prepare the water mixture first and then add the sifted flour, I love the one bowl concept of making bread. It makes life so much easier and LESS dishes to wash.
- Sift the flour with a sieve and add to a large mixing bowl. We love this SIEVE and use it on a regular basis.
- Create a large well in the center of the flour (so you have room to add the remaining ingredients).
- Pour in the warm water, oil, salt, sprinkle the yeast over the water and then sprinkle the sugar over the yeast. Give the water mixture a gentle stir and allow yeast to activate.
- Once yeast is activated, mix together everything until flour is incorporated. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, the kneading allows the gluten to develop resulting in a beautiful tall loaf.
- Cover dough with a towel for proofing. Keep the dough in a warm area until the dough doubles in size, 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Grease a 9”x5” bread pan and shape dough into a loaf, place into the bread pan.
- Cover the bread pan and allow the bread to rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake until the top of the bread loaf is golden brown.
- Remove the bread loaf from the pan and place on a cooling rack, butter the top of the bread loaf.
Frequently asked questions–
- Can I freeze white bread? Yes! This bread loaf can definitely be frozen. Prepare bread per instructions and allow it to completely cool once baked. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag (I like to use the large 2 gallon ziploc bags to freeze breads). TIP: Bread can either be frozen whole or sliced.
- What kind of flour would be best? You can use a good quality all-purpose flour like Canadian flour. Or, you can use half bread flour and half all-purpose flour for the recipe.
- Do I have to wait for bread to cool? Yes, it is recommended you allow the bread to cool before slicing. Though I’d never judge you for indulging in warm bread! Ha.
- What can I mix the bread with? You can either mix the bread by hand or use a Kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook.
- Should I remove loaf out of the pan? Yes, you always want to remove the bread from the pan and cool on a cooling rack or else the sides of the bread will become moist and soggy.
- How do I know if bread has proofed (risen enough)? Gently push your finger into the dough. If the dent remains, your bread is ready. If the dent fills, give it some more time.
- Why isn’t my dough rising? If the dough isn’t rising, the water was either too cold or the yeast didn’t activate (or old yeast). NOTE: You want to dissolve the yeast in a water temperatures between 110°F–115°F.
How can I serve the white bread?
- Slice the bread for sandwiches.
- Enjoy the bread with jam and butter with cold milk, this is so good when the bread is fresh.
- Make cheese bread slices. Spread butter over the bread slices then sprinkle with garlic powder and top with your favorite shredded cheese. Toast bread until the cheese melts and bread is crispy.
If you’ve ever felt intimidated to bake homemade bread, this recipe will change your mind. It’s just a matter of adding all of the ingredients, kneading, bread rising and baking. You’re done, super EASY!
Other bread recipes–
- Apple Bread– perfect to enjoy all year round.
- Crispy Italian Bread Recipe– with a crunchy crust.
- Twisted Sweet Bread– with a jam and cream cheese filling.
- Cranberry Orange Bread– with the cranberries adding so much flavor.
- Banana Pecan– with a maple glaze.
Homemade White Bread Recipe
- Pour the warm water, oil, and salt. Sprinkle yeast over water and sugar over yeast, gently stir and allow the yeast to activate, about 5 minutes.
- Mix the dough until fully combined, then knead for about 5 minutes. Add the dough back to the bowl, cover and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Bake in preheated oven to 375°F for 25 minutes or until bread loaf is golden and cripsy.
- Remove bread loaf from the pan and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Brush crust of loaf with butter, optional.
- Be sure the water is warm, between 110°F–115°F, so the yeast activates.
- Good quality flour is needed. Or use a combination of all-purpose flour with bread flour.