This Easy Braided White Bread recipe is so simple and delicious. The loaf is quick to make and is soft and works great as a savory bread or sweet bread with butter or jam.
braided bread recipe
What I love about this particular braided bread recipe is that you can enjoy it with a meal or soup or as a sweet bread with a cup of hot tea. When serving the bread as a sweet bread try these toppings:
- Nutella (hazelnut spread)
- Peanut butter
- Butter and your favorite jam (raspberry, strawberry or apricot)
simple bread recipe
For most Slavic people, bread is a must with just about every meal (by every meal I mean breakfast, lunch and dinner, haha). I think if I offered my dad soup or a main dish and not set out some bread with it, he’d be pretty confused as to why there is no bread and would not start eating. Growing up with that kind of a mindset, I find myself having freshly baked bread at our home all the time as well. Since bread is so often on the menu, I try to have many simple bread recipes that I go to, especially white bread recipes. The easier the recipe, the better! 🙂
white bread recipe
There are so many different bread recipes around the world. I love trying new bread recipes, bagels, and baguette recipes. There are different styles, flavors, and seasonings added to bread. But there is nothing better than homemade bread. The smell of bread cooking in the kitchen as the aroma fills the house is a smell I think everyone should experience and enjoy on a regular basis. This bread was inspired by the popular Jewish recipe, the Challah bread. It’s not your traditional water and yeast bread. The added milk and egg gives it a unique taste and softness. It stays fresh longer as well.
You can use sesame seed instead of the poppy seed if desired.
Can I freeze bread?
This bread dough recipe is such a fun recipe. I love the look of the bread when braided. Sometimes I double the portion and make two loaves, then, I slice a loaf and freeze it in a Ziploc freezer bag. When I’m really busy and don’t have time to bake and don’t have fresh bread on hand, I just thaw this bread. I even throw it in a preheated oven for a few minutes. It tastes like this recipe just came out of the oven. #Winner!
If you make this Easy Braided White Bread, please tag us with your creations. #ValentinasCorner. We LOVE seeing your recipes :)!
Easy braided white bread recipe. An easy yeast and milk recipe for soft bread topped with poppy seed.
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup water, very warm
- 1/4 cup milk, very warm
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp water
- poppy seed or sesame seed, optional
- Sift flour into a large bowl. In the center of the flour make an opening (pushing flour to the sides).
- In a small bowl, combine the water and milk. Pour into the center of flour.
- Add salt to water, lightly stir. Sprinkle yeast over top of water and sprinkle sugar over yeast. Let the yeast active, it will become foamy (3-5 minutes).
- In a small bowl, whisk egg. Once yeast is foamy add egg to the water and whisk until egg is incorporated. With your hand, slowly start adding flour to the water and mixing. Mix until dough is lumpy. Transfer dough onto surface. Knead 6-8 minutes until dough is smooth and flour is well combined. (Dough should not be sticky.)
- Lightly grease bowl with cooking spray. Place dough into bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and cover with a kitchen towel to keep warm. Let the dough rise 1 hour, it will double in size.
- Gently, divide dough into three parts. Roll out each part into about 15-inch ropes. It’s easiest to roll out by starting with both hands in the middle of the rope and pull to sides as you roll. Repeat until the ropes are the same in length.
- Braid loosely, tucking edges under braid. Once braided, stretch the middle out gently. Brush top of braid with oil or water and cover loosely with plastic wrap (I like to lightly spray the plastic wrap with cooking spray so it doesn’t stick to the dough once it’s being removed.) Let the braid rise another 45 minutes, the braid will double in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk egg yolk and water. Brush braid with the egg wash, sprinkle with poppy seed (optional).
- Bake braid 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
Updating an old post.