This Easy Braided White Bread recipe is so simple and absolutely delicious. The loaf is so quick to make, is so soft and may be enjoyed as savory bread or sweet bread with butter or jam.
Enjoy the detailed video tutorial on how to make homemade braided bread and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel for new recipe videos!
braided bread recipe-
This homemade white braided bread recipe is really great! Not only is it simple to make but it’s so beautiful when served. This bread loaf is great for around the holidays and family gatherings. It is so soft and airy in texture and always a hit.
HOW TO MAKE BRAIDED BREAD?
Don’t be intimated by this recipe. It is much easier to make than it looks.
Prepare the bread dough:
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, create a well in the center of the flour.
- Pout the warm and milk into well.
- Add the salt and stir.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the liquids and then the sugar over the yeast. Cover the bowl and allow the yeast to activate and become foamy (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add a whisked egg into the liquids and stir.
- Mix until dough is lumpy.
- Transfer onto a floured working surface. Knead the dough 6-8 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Lightly grease a bowl and add the bread dough. Cover and allow to rise 1 hour, until doubled in size.
BRAID THE BREAD DOUGH (PLAIT A LOAF):
- Gently, divide the dough into three parts. Roll out each part into about 15-inch ropes. TIP: It’s easiest to roll out by starting with both hands in the middle of the rope and pulling out as you roll.
- Place the three ropes together. Braid loosely, tucking edges under the braid.
- Once braided, stretch the middle out gently. Brush the top of the bread braid with oil or water and cover loosely with plastic wrap. (I like to lightly spray the plastic wrap with cooking spray so it doesn’t stick to the dough once it’s being removed.) You can also just use a large kitchen towel.
- Allow the braid rise another 45 minutes, until the bread doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Whisk egg yolk and water for egg wash. Generously brush the braid, sprinkle with poppy seed (optional).
- Bake the bread braid 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
how to serve braided bread?
Enjoy the bread with a hot cup of tea or coffee with:
- Nutella (hazelnut spread)
- Peanut butter
- Butter and your favorite jam (raspberry, strawberry or apricot)
Can I freeze bread?
Yes, this bread loaf may easily be frozen for up to 3 months.
- TO FREEZE: Allow the bread to completely cool and freeze in a freezer bag.
- TO THAW: That bread overnight in the fridge. For a fresh bread taste, heat the bread in the microwave for a few seconds or place it in the oven and reheat.
OTHER TOP RATED BREAD RECIPES:
- Bread Machine Bread– the only bread machine recipe you need.
- Homemade White Bread– a classic recipe.
- No Knead Bread– just like the bakery shops.
- Italian Bread– with a crispy crust.
Easy Braided Bread Recipe
how to make braided bread dough-
- Sift flour into a large bowl and create a well in the center.
- Pout the milk and water in to the well.
- Add salt to water, lightly stir. Sprinkle yeast over top of water and sprinkle sugar over yeast. Let the yeast active, until it becomes foamy and activates, 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the whisked egg and stir to combine. Mix everything until dough is lumpy.
- Transer onto a floured surface and knead 6-8 minutes, until the dough is smooth and flour is well combined.
- Lightly grease bowl with cooking spray. Place dough into bowl. Cover the bowl and allow to rise 1 hour.
how to braid bread-
- Gently, divide dough into three equal parts.
- Roll out each part into about 15-inch ropes.
- Braid the dough loosely, tucking edges under the braid. Once braided, stretch the middle out gently.
- Brush top of braid with oil or water and cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk egg yolk and water. Brush braid with the egg wash, sprinkle with poppy seed (optional).
- Bake braid 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.