This Easy Chicken Parmesan Recipe with a crispy panko parmesan coating truly is the best and ready in 30 minutes. The chicken breast is pan-fried and crispy on the outside yet tender and juicy on the inside. The classic recipe is topped with a homemade marinara sauce and loaded with cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
what is chicken parmesan?
Chicken Parmesan is also known as chicken parmigiana. It’s a popular Italian-American chicken dish that is served in many popular restaurants such as Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory, and most other popular food chains serve this easy yet delicious dish.
Chicken Parmesan consists of a breaded crispy chicken breast that’s topped with a marinara sauce, Provolone and/or Mozzarella cheese. The chicken is pan-fried until crispy on the outside and insanely juicy on the inside.
how to make chicken parmesan?
This Chicken Parmesan recipe is ready in under 30 minutes! Perfect for busy evenings.
- Cut chicken in half lengthwise.
- Combine ingredients into 3 separate bowls for coating.
- Dredge chicken into bowl 1, then bowl 2 and finally generously coat in bowl 3.
- Cook on med/high heat until chicken is crispy and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, prepare the homemade marinara sauce.
- Layout chicken onto a lined baking sheet.
- Top chicken with homemade marinara sauce and cheese.
- Broil chicken until cheese melts.
- Top with fresh basil and serve immediately.
NOTE: We use this hand-held mixer to puree the marinara sauce.
what sauce is served with chicken parm?
You can use your favorite store-bought marinara (pizza) sauce. However, a homemade marinara sauce adds so much flavor to the chicken parm. It really is the secret to the best homemade chicken parmesan.
what side dish should chicken parm be served with?
You can serve the chicken parm with its classic side – spaghetti (or angel hair or linguine pasta). I personally enjoy the chicken with a side of mashed potatoes. There’s just something about mashed potatoes that makes this chicken have a comfort food feel to it.
Serve the chicken parm with a simple Caesar salad with homemade dressing for a complete meal.
I cannot wait for you to try this Chicken Parm Recipe. It’s absolutely phenomenal and probably one of my favorite recipes on our blog – no joke. You’ll never want to order this dish in a restaurant again after you try this amazing homemade recipe.
Don’t feel intimidated by the Chicken Parmesan, it’s actually extremely easy to prepare.
GETTING TO KNOW YOU: What’s your favorite chicken dish? Tell us about it in the comments below, I really enjoy reading your feedback. 🙂
Other chicken recipes to try:
- Tomato Basil Chicken Breast In Wine Sauce– Chicken breast with cheese, tomato, and basil.
- Baked Chicken Fajitas– Mexican inspired.
- Mushroom Chicken Pasta– Best combination of flavors.
- Ham Cheese Stuffed Chicken– Ham and cheese stuffed chicken breast!
Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 4-6 slices of provolone cheese
- 2-3 Tbsp basil, optional
- 3 Tbsp oil (more if needed)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to broiler at step 5 of chicken. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
prepare the homemade marinara sauce:
- In a saucepan or skillet, sauté onion with 1 Tbsp. butter and 1 tsp oil until cooked, stirring as needed.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Puree with a hand-held mixer until smooth.
- Pour marinara back into the saucepan and simmer on low heat until needed.
- Cut the chicken breast in half lengthwise. Lightly beat with a meat mallet until even in thickness.
- In 3 separate bowls, combine the ingredients for bowl 1, bowl 2, and bowl 3.
- Dredge the chicken into bowl 1, then bowl 2 and finally bowl 3, coating generously.
- In a large pan, heat 3 Tbsp oil over med/high. Once hot, carefully add chicken. (Don't overcrowd the pan, cook in two batches if needed.)
- Cook chicken until crispy and fully cooked, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Add chicken breast to a baking sheet.
- Add the marinara over chicken. Top with cheese.
- Broil for 4-6 minutes, until cheese fully melts.
- Generously garnish with fresh basil.