This copycat Alice Springs Chicken is an Outback classic that is so delicious! Juicy and tender chicken breast topped with bacon, sauteed mushrooms, and melted cheese smothered in a creamy homemade honey mustard sauce.
We love this recipe so much we made a stuffed chicken spin on the recipe.
ALICE SPRINGS CHICKEN-
This recipe is a best seller at one of our favorite Outback Steakhouse. Our version of the recipe is so much better and is a fraction of the price! The juicy chicken breast is topped with melted cheese, bacon, mushroom, and smothered in a honey mustard sauce, a recipe you cannot pass upon.
WHAT YOU NEED:
This recipe is not only good for dinner but also great when you’re having guests or a date night dinner.
- CHICKEN– We like chicken breast in this recipe.
- BACON– The bacon brings so many flavors to this dish.
- MUSHROOMS– You can use white mushrooms or portobello mushrooms.
- HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE– Any store-bought honey mustard sauce can be used, but love our homemade honey mustard sauce recipe.
- CHEESE- Any shredded cheese you have on hand with work. You can use Colby jack, mozzarella, mild cheddar, etc.
- SPICE BLEND– We use a blend of our go-to seasonings; salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic. You can also add any of your favorite seasonings.
HOW TO MAKE ALICE SPRINGS CHICKEN-
- Sauce: Prepare the homemade honey mustard sauce or use store-bought.
- Prep ingredients: Cut chicken in half and beat evenly and season on both sides.
- Bacon: Cut bacon into bite-sized pieces and saute until browned. Remove from the skillet.
- Mushrooms: Slice the mushrooms into thin slices. Saute in the leftover bacon grease, season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken: Saute the chicken breast with oil until cooked. Top the chicken breast with a ¼ of the sauce, bacon, and mushrooms. Then top with cheese. Turn heat to low, cover lid cook until cheese melts.
- Sauce: Drizzle more sauce over the chicken or dip into the sauce.
- Enjoy, friends!
You can serve this chicken bacon recipe in many different ways! We love serving it with mashed potatoes or with a side of rice. We also add a side such as roasted broccoli, or even air fryer asparagus, or just a simple side salad.
frequenlty asked questions-
Yes, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe also, just adjust the cook time.
If you don’t like mushrooms you can just leave them out!
Yes! Just cook the bacon, mushrooms and even the chicken breast. When ready to enjoy, just reheat the chicken and then continue with the recipe.
You can also add the chicken to a baking sheet and top with all the toppings, cover and bake at 365°F for about 15-18 minutes until chicken is warmed and cheese is melted.
Even if you’ve never had this chicken from Outback, you’ll want to give it a try.
Try these other chicken dinner recipes:
- Easy Baked Chicken Thighs
- Crispy Parmesan Chicken
- Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan
- Grilled Chicken Skewers
Alice Springs Chicken Recipe
- Cut the chicken in half and cover the chicken with lastic wrap. With a meat mallet, beat the chicken until even in thickness.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, and paprika. Season all sides of the chicken breast.
- Cut the bacon into bite-size pieces and fry the bacon. Remove the bacon from the pan and keep grease.
- Slice and saute mushrooms with the left over bacon grease. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- In a larger skillet, heat ½ tsp oil and add the chicken breast into the skillet. Cook on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, and flip. Cover with lid and continue cooking on medium low heat until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Top the chicken with 1/4 of the honey mustard sauce. Divide the mushroom and bacon evenly among all the chicken and then top with cheese and some more honey mustard sauce. Cover with lid and cook on low until the cheese melts.
- Top with fresh greens and enjoy.