This classic Italian Caprese Salad Recipe is made with tomatoes, mozzarella, fresh basil and tossed with olive oil, and drizzled with Balsamic Glaze.
Serve the Caprese salad as a side salad or as a main entree with toasted Crostini.
WHAT IS A CAPRESE SALAD?
The authentic Caprese Salad originates from Italy and officially first went on a menu in Hotel Quisisana. The salad is made with sliced fresh tomatoes, freshly sliced mozzarella cheese, fresh basil then drizzled with oil and a balsamic glaze. We love to add garlic and seasoning to the oil for added flavor.
CAPRESE SALAD INGREDIENTS-
These ingredients make up a traditional Caprese salad recipe.
- Tomatoes– The tomatoes are the key ingredient in the recipe and you want to make sure the tomatoes are fresh and ripe.
- Mozzarella cheese– You can either use a log of cheese or bocconcini which are small mozzarella cheese balls.
- Basil– Fresh basil is a must, don’t substitute for dried basil.
- Balsamic glaze– We used our homemade balsamic glaze, which is just a balsamic vinegar and sugar reduction.
- Oil– Your favorite olive oil will work. Some like extra-light yet others prefer extra-virgin, we find that a classic olive oil is the best with the remaining flavors.
- Season– Season with salt, pepper and we add garlic and Italian seasoning to ours.
- Red onion– We added red onion to our salad but that is totally optional.
- Romaine– You can serve the salad in mini romaine leaves as boats or just clice the romaine and add it to the salad.
HOW TO MAKE A CAPRESE SALAD-
Just a few ingredients and a few minutes of your time are all you need for this salad recipe.
- Cut tomatoes- If using heirloom or a large tomato, you want to slice it thinly or cube the tomatoes. We used cherry tomatoes and just halved the tomatoes.
- Cheese– Thinly slice or cube the mozzarella cheese. We just kept our cheese balls whole.
- Romaine– Use mini romaine as a bed to serve the salad in, totally optional.
- Make dressing– In a bowl, combine the olive oil, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- Assemble salad– Add all of the ingredients to a bowl. Drizzle the oil mixture over the ingredients and drizzle balsamic glaze over the salad.
- Romaine boats– If serving in the romaine lettuce, just add your mixed salad to the salad leaves and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
|Serving the salad in romaine is such a fun idea for parties and potlucks. The salad always gets compliments and it’s so pretty to serve.|
OTHER SALAD RECIPES-
Classic salad recipes are great not only as a side dish but may be enjoyed as a meal for lunch or dinner.
- Tomato Cheese Salad
- Chicken Salad Over Mixed Greens
- Cabbage Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Quinoa Spinach Salad
- Greek Salad Recipe
Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- 3 oz mini mozzarella cheese, halved
- 3 Tbsp red onion, sliced thin
- 2 mini romaine leaves, cut
- 2 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- balsamic glaze, to taste