An easy recipe for fluffy and flavor-packed Rice Pilaf (plov). The pilaf is loaded with meat and carrots and baked in the oven, the perfect dinner recipe.
Rice pilaf is so versatile and can be customized to your personal preferences. Add in your favorite seasonings, veggies and protein.
We love this baked recipe because it is fail-proof and you don’t have to worry about mushy or undercooked rice. With the right proportions, the rice turns out perfect every time!
What is Rice Pilaf?
Pilaf is a rice dish originating from the Middle East and has become popular in most parts of the world. Most chefs add their personal spin to the classic recipe.
Rice pilaf is made with long grain rice cooked in broth (or water) with vegetables, onion and garlic, and sometimes meat. The methods for cooking rice pilaf vary from stovetop to instant pot and our method of baking!
How to make Rice Pilaf-
- Julienne Carrots: Julienne the carrots into thin strands. We cut it into four parts then sliced and julienned each part.
- Slice onion: Cut the onion in half, then thinly slice and cut into 3-4 parts. You don’t want it dice it.
- Cut beef: Cube the beef into bite-sized pieces.
- Saute: Saute the meat until browned, lightly season with salt and pepper. Add in the onion and cook until tender. Add the carrots and cook until tender.
- Rice: Run the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Add the rice to a casserole dish.
- Combine: Add the sauteed meat and vegetables and stir.
- Liquid and seasonings: Add the water or brother and season.
- Bake: Bake until water has fully evaporated. Fluff rice before serving.
What Rice Should I Use?
We like long grain white rice for this recipe! You can also use jasmine and basmati rice, though they take just a little longer to cook.
If you want to use brown rice, keep in mind it will take almost twice as long to cook.
Other Rice Recipes:
Rice is so versatile and may be used in so many different ways:
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Vegetable Chicken Rice
- Creamy Rice Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- Meatball and Rice Soup
- Plain Rice Recipe
Rice Pilaf Recipe (Plov)
- 1 lb beef chuck, bite-sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thin strands
- 2 large carrots, thick julienne slices
- 2 cups long grain white rice (Uncle Ben's)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste (divided)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Cube beef into small, bite-size pieces. Cut onion into thin slices and julienne carrots.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil over high heat. Add the meat chunks and cook until browned. Season with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Add in the sliced onions and 1 Tbsp oil. Saute until onions are tender. Add in the carrots and 1 Tbsp oil and saute until carrots are tender.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet and cook until fragrant.
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clean. Spread the rice out in a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Add the sauteed meat and vegetables and stir to combine.
- Add the water and broth. Add the rest of the seasonings (1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp ground cumin, ¼ tsp pepper). Mix everything. Cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. Remove foil, mix pilaf. Bake another 8-10 minutes, until the liquids completely evaporate. Fluff rice before serving.