Quick and EASY Cheesy Chicken and Rice Recipe. The creamy rice loaded with chicken, mushrooms and cheese will sure become a favorite.
The dish is completely prepared as a one-pot dish and comes together so quickly.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
creamy cheesy chicken and rice-
If you are tired of serving rice the same way, you are in for a treat with this new recipe. The chicken and mushrooms combined with cheese and heavy whipping make for a creamy and hearty one-pot meal.
Since you already have the mushrooms with the chicken, you don’t even need a side dish for the meal (unless you want to make a homemade bread).
how to make cheesy chicken and rice-
- Prepare seasoning- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the seasoning, set aside.
- Cook chicken- Cube chicken into small uniform bite-sized pieces. In a Dutch oven, saute the chicken until fully cooked, season the chicken. Remove the chicken from the Dutch oven.
- Cook mushrooms- Meanwhile, clean and quarter the mushrooms. Saute until browned, add in the finely chopped onion and cook until onions are tender. Remove from Dutch oven.
- Garlic- Add the butter and garlic, cook, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Rice- Add in the rice and stir.
- Broth- Add the broth, water, salt and bay leaves, bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and cook 15-17 minutes until the liquids evaporate and rice is completely cooked. Stir the mixture halfway through the cooking. Add back in the chicken, mushrooms, and onions and mix.
- Cheese- Turn off the heat and stir in the heavy whipping cream, cheese, and herbs. Serve immediately.
Chef’s TIP: If you don’t like the texture of creamy rice, stop at the cooked chicken and rice and don’t add in the cheese and heavy whipping cream. It tastes wonderful without the added ingredients that make the rice creamy and cheesy.
This Chicken and Rice has become a favorite of ours. I especially love that it is completely made as a one-pot recipe.
If your kiddos are anything like ours and strongly dislike the mushrooms since they are quartered and large, it’s easy to pick them out before you serve the rice.
OTHER EASY DINNER RECIPES:
- Broccoli Chicken Alfredo– With a homemade alfredo sauce.
- Lo Mein Recipe– Copycat Chinese recipe.
- Chicken Fried Rice– For those that love basmati rice.
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole– So much flavor.
Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- 1½ lb chicken thighs, boneless skinless
- 3 Tbsp olive or canola oil, divided
- 12 oz mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups uncooked rice, rinsed
- 32 oz chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese*
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Combine the ingredients for the chicken seasoning, set aside.
- Cut the chicken thighs into small cubes.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp oil. Once hot, add the chicken and saute until cooked. Season with the seasoning and stir to combine. Remove the chicken from the Dutch oven.
- Meanwhile, peel and quarter the mushrooms and finely chop the onion.
- Saute the mushrooms with 1 Tbsp oil. Once the mushrooms are browned, add the onions and cook until onions are tender. Remove mushrooms and onions from Dutch oven.
- Add the butter and garlic into the pot. Cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the rice, water, bay leaves, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium and cook until the water evaporates and rice is fully cooked 15-17 minutes. Add back in the mushrooms, onions, and chicken and mix.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the heavy whipping cream, cheese and herbs.
- Top with additional herbs and enjoy immediately.