This hearty Chicken Parmesan Pasta recipe inspired by the classic Chicken Parmesan is one pasta dinner you want to try! Pasta with juicy and tender chicken breast tossed in marinara sauce and shredded cheese, so GOOD!
CHICKEN PARMESAN PASTA-
There is nothing better than a quick and easy pasta dinner. This flavorful chicken breast is tossed together with pasta, marinara sauce and shredded cheese, so hearty and loaded with so much flavor. If you love the classic Italian chicken parmesan dish, you are going to LOVE this pasta.
With just a few minutes of prep time and simple ingredients, you can have the pasta dinner ready to be enjoyed.
- Pasta- We like to use any short pasta for this dish: ziti, rigatoni, elbow pasta, penne pasta work. You can also use long pasta like linguine, spaghetti, and fettuccine.
- Chicken- For this recipe, we like to use boneless skinless chicken breast as the protein.
- Chicken Seasoning- To season the chicken, we like to use a blend of Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Onion- You want to use a medium cooking onion, but may opt-out of using onion.
- Garlic- Freshly minced garlic works best, but you can also use garlic powder.
- Marinara Sauce- Your favorite marinara pasta sauce will work for this recipe.
- Shredded Cheese- For the best results, you want to use shredded Mozzarella cheese!
- Parmesan Cheese- Either pre-grated or freshly grated parmesan cheese will work.
- Butter & Oil- We use butter and oil for sauteing.
- Fresh Basil- To complete this parmesan chicken dish make sure you have freshly chopped basil to garnish with.
- Parmesan Cheese- Sprinkle parmesan cheese when serving or shred fresh parmesan cheese.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN PARMESAN PASTA-
Have this simple pasta dish ready in under 30 minutes!
- Pasta- Boil the pasta according to package instructions. Drain, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Chicken- Beat the chicken until even in thickness, and season on all sides with the seasoning blend. Saute the chicken in a pan with olive oil until fully cooked. Remove and cover to keep warm then slice or cube before combining with the rest of the ingredients.
- Sauce- In a large skillet, saute the onion with butter until tender and cooked. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a light simmer.
- Combine- Add the sliced chicken, cooked pasta, half of the shredded cheese, and parmesan cheese to the skillet and stir to combine and cook until heated. Top with the cheese and cover with a lid to allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve- Garnish with freshly chopped basil and enjoy!
Chef’s Tip: You can easily make this a one-pot chicken parmesan pasta. Cook the pasta in a Dutch oven, then drain the pasta and continue cooking everything in the same Dutch oven.
This pasta makes for a complete dinner when served with the proper side dishes! Here are some of our favorite sides to serve with this chicken parmesan pasta:
- Classic Caesar Salad
- Homemade Breadsticks
- Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Light Side Salad
- Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Roasted Veggies
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes! We like to use the frozen breaded chicken tenders for this dish too! Just throw the chicken in the air fryer as you prepare the rest of the recipe. Chicken thighs will also work.
The internal temperature of cooked chicken breast should be 165°F.
Yes! Although this recipe comes together so quickly and tastes the best fresh you can prepare this ahead of time and just reheat to share.
Keep the leftover pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Yes! Once the pasta is cooked, transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 2 months! Then, just thaw and reheat to serve.
Just reheat in the microwave or skillet. Add more marinara sauce when reheating if the pasta is dry.
OTHER PASTA RECIPES-
Pasta recipes are by far some of our family’s favorite dinners to enjoy and we have so many different recipes. Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Rasta Pasta Recipe
- Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Broccoli Pasta
Quick Parmesan Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 16 oz short uncooked pasta
chicken and seasoning-
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, black pepper.
- Meanwhile, beat the chicken breast until even in thickness and season with the seasoning mixture on all sides.
- In a large deep skillet, heat oil over medium/high heat. Once hot, sear the chicken on both sides until golden and crispy.
- Turn the heat down to medium low heat, close the skillet with lid and cook until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove from the skillet, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add butter and chopped onion and saute on medium heat until tender and golden.
- Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the marinara sauce and bring to a light simmer.
- Slice the cooked chicken into thin strands or cube into bite-sized pieces. Add the cooked chicken, pasta, and 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese, parmesan cheese into the skillet and toss until combined.
- Allow the pasta to cook over low/med heat. Top with the remaining shredded cheese and cover with lid, cook until cheese melts.
- Serve and enjoy!