An amazing Easy Meatball Recipe. Juicy and flavorful meatballs in a homemade marinara sauce. These homemade meatballs will be a great and hearty topping to your favorite pasta. The meatballs are so tender and easily cut through with a fork.
I’d say the perfect meatball recipe made from scratch is one that is really easy to make and yields phenomenal results. That’s what you’ll get when you make these meatballs. The bonus is you know what is being added to the meatballs and what you are feeding your family – a great reason to skip the store-bought meatballs.
How to Make Meatballs-
Meatballs are so easy to make and can be prepared in 10 minutes, the perfect dinner for a busy evening.
- Add ground meat to a bowl, create a well.
- Add the bread crumbs, whisked eggs, mayo, seasonings and herbs.
- Mix everything until well combined.
- Roll the mixture into round meatballs, be sure to pack the meatballs tightly. Cook meatballs (see below).
- Prepare the delicious homemade marinara sauce. Pour over meatballs in a baking dish.
- Cover dish and bake.
How to cook meatballs-
The meatballs may be baked or sauteed in a skillet.
- To BAKE meatballs in the oven: Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Space meatballs on the baking sheet, the meatballs shouldn’t be touching each other. Bake meatballs at 400°F for 15-20 minutes.
- To FRY meatballs on the stovetop: Cover bottom of a frying pan or Dutch oven with oil. Cook the meatballs until browned on all sides, no need to cook all the way through.
What kind of ground meat –
You want to use beef with an 80% lean-20% fat ground beef for best results. 90% lean-10% fat meat will also work.
Though you can use store-bought marinara for this recipe. This homemade sauce is wonderful and so easy to make. The sauteed onion and garlic with herbs and seasonings added to the tomatoes make for the perfect marinara sauce.
How to serve meatballs-
The meatballs may be served over pasta of choice, over mashed potatoes, in sliders for parties, or as a sub.
Freezing uncooked meatballs-
Prepare and shape meatballs. Arrange on a baking sheet and freeze meatballs. Once solid, transfer meatballs to a freezer container. To cook, thaw meatballs completely.
Can meatballs be reheated?
The meatballs are easily reheated. Cover the dish with foil and foil and reheat in the oven.
I hope you love this recipe for classic homemade meatballs. Don’t forget to tag us on social media if you try this recipe, we enjoy seeing your creations. #ValentinasCorner
An amazing and easy homemade Meatball Recipe. Juicy and flavorful meatballs in a homemade marinara sauce, perfect for a busy evening.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- ½ large onion, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- oil for sautéing
- 2 (14 oz. each) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
Grate onion on the small protruding holes’ side of the grater.
In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for meatballs.
Form 1 - 1 ½ inch round meatballs, packing meatballs tightly. Yields about 30 meatballs.
Coat the bottom of a large skillet with oil. Once hot, add the meatballs. Cook meatballs until all sides are browned, flipping as needed.
Remove and place the meatballs in a casserole dish.
In a skillet, sauté the finely chopped onion with oil and butter.
Once onions are cooked, add diced tomatoes, water, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
Simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
Puree the marinara with a hand mixer or blender until desired consistency.
Once tomato sauce is smooth, add back to the skillet. Add the fresh basil, oregano, and parsley. Allow to cook another 1-2 minutes.
Pour the sauce over the meatballs. Cover with foil.
Bake covered 45 minutes. Remove foil, bake for another 5 minutes.
Enjoy with your favorite side.
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired.