Meatball Subs are the best kind of sub sandwich. Large homemade meatballs between garlic butter rolls loaded with cheese and baked until crispy.
best MEATBALL SUB recipe-
These hearty meatball subs are truly the ultimate recipe! The juicy and tender meatballs are cooked in the marinara sauce then added to hoagie buns and loads of cheese and baked until the cheese has melted, SO GOOD!
This recipe calls for just a few simple ingredients!
- Meatballs– For this recipe, we use our Instant Pot Meatballs in sauce and just make larger meatballs.
- Buns– Your favorite hoagie roll will work great for this recipe.
- Cheese– This recipe calls for shredded Mozzarella cheese, but you can use any of your favorite shredded cheese. You can also use mozzarella pearls for the cheese.
- Butter Topping– For the butter topping we use melted butter, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
HOW TO MAKE MEATBALL SUBS-
This meatball sandwich recipe comes together so quickly, you are going to love it!
- Meatballs– Prepare the meatballs according to our Instant Pot Meatballs recipe (Note: You’ll need to shape the mixture into 16 large meatballs.)
- Buns– Add the hoagie buns to a baking sheet and using a pastry brush, brush the buns with the butter topping.
- Assemble– Once the meatballs are cooked add 4 meatballs into each hoagie bun along with the marinara sauce.
- Add cheese– Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake– Bake until the cheese has melted and the buns are crispy.
- Top with parmesan cheese and serve!
These meatball subs are so delicious without anything but they are even better with the perfect side dish! Here are some of our favorite sides:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
This recipe makes 4 subs! You can add fewer meatballs per sub and make more subs.
Yes! You can add sauteed veggies to your sub if you like. We love adding bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms for extra flavors.
We recommend eating all the subs to avoid them getting soggy. Make the number of subs you will eat and store the rest of the meatballs and sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Yes! Prepare the meatballs and sauce and then once cooled, store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. When ready to enjoy just prepare the subs and bake!
More Sandwich Recipes-
- Crispy Spicy Chicken Sandwich
- Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
- Chicken Philly Cheese Steak
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Reuben Sandwich
- BBQ Crockpot Pulled Chicken Sandwich
Meatball Sub Sandwich
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
cook sauce and meatballs-
- Add the shaped meatballs and marinara sauce to the instant pot.
- Seal and pressure cook for 12 minutes, release pressure and serve.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the hoagie rolls to the baking sheet and brush the tops with the garlic butter topping.
- Add 4 meatballs into each hoagie roll along with sauce.
- Evenly sprinkle the shredded cheese over the subs.
- Bake the subs for about 6-8 minutes or until the cheese has melted.