You are going to love this homemade Spicy Chicken Sandwich recipe! Chicken breast in spicy buttermilk marinates and fried until the chicken is juicy and crispy. The fried chicken is then smothered in a delicious buttery hot sauce and served in between buns.
There is nothing better than crispy and juicy fried chicken! Whether it is a Crispy Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich or the crispy and crunchy Chicken Tenders.
SPICY crispy CHICKEN SANDWICH-
This crispy and juicy spicy chicken sandwich recipe is going to become a family favorite! The marinade for this sandwich gives you the juiciest and crispiest chicken. The crispy fried chicken is smothered in a buttery hot sauce and served in between sandwich buns with your choice of sandwich toppings, so GOOD!
This crispy sandwich comes together so quickly and is so easy to make, you are going to love this recipe.
- Chicken– We use boneless skinless chicken breast. You can substitute for chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Marinade– For the marinade, we use buttermilk, hot sauce, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Breading– The breading is what gives you that crispy crust for the chicken. We use flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, and onion powder.
- Hot Sauce– We use Frank’s Buffalo hot sauce for this recipe. When combining the hot sauce with butter, gives you a delicious buttery hot sauce for the chicken.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SPICY CHICKEN SANDWICH-
Have this delicious spicy chicken sandwich recipe ready in no time!
- Marinate– Cut the chicken in half lengthwise and beat the chicken breast until all the chicken is even in thickness.
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and add the chicken to it and marinate.
- Bread Chicken– Combine the ingredients for the chicken breading. Take the chicken from the marinade and dredge the chicken into the breading, covering the entire chicken.
- Fry Chicken– Heat oil and once hot add the dredged chicken into the oil and fry until golden and cooked through.
- Dredge– Dredge the fried chicken in the hot sauce.
- Assemble– Assemble the chicken sandwich and serve.
Chicken Marinate Time- You want to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes up to overnight!
The key to the perfect crispy chicken sandwich is the things that you add to your sandwich! Here are our favorite sandwich toppings:
- Sandwich buns; sesame buns, brioche buns, wheat buns
- Red Onion
- Cheese Slices
- sriracha mayo
- Homemade Ranch
- Spicy Mayo
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
The internal temperature of the cooking temperature should read 165°F.
For the perfect frying, you want your oil to be at 350°F when you add the chicken, and use THIS thermometer to check the heat.
Depending on how many chicken breasts you have is how many sandwiches you will get. Usually, 1 ½ pound of chicken is about 2 chicken breasts.
Yes! Spray the air fryer basket with oil and add the chicken to the basket and air fry at 375°F for about 20-22 minutes, or until cooked through. Flip halfway through cook time.
Yes, this recipe can be made into spicy chicken tenders! Just use chicken tenders and the fry time will be less because tenders are smaller.
Just reheat the chicken in the oven or air fryer until reheated.
HOW TO SERVE THIS CHICKEN SANDWICH-
There are several different ways to serve this chicken sandwich! Here are some delicious serving options:
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Loaded Fries
- Oven-Baked Fries
- Homemade Coleslaw
- Refrigerator Pickles
- Sweet Potato Fries
Crispy Spicy Chicken Sandwich
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast boneless skinless
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
how to marinade crispy chicken-
- Cut the chicken breast half giving you 4 chicken cutlets. Beat chicken with a meat mallet so all the chicken is even in thickness.
- In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Add the chicken fillets into the buttermilk, allow to marinate 30 minutes or overnight.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Take the chicken from the buttermilk marinade and dredge in the flour mixture, completely coating the chicken.
frying chicken sandwich-
- In a Dutch oven or large pot with a thick bottom, add enough oil to completely cover chicken breast when submerged. Heat until oil is about 350°F.
- Once hot, add the chicken and fry until golden and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to a place lined with a paper towel.
coating in hot sauce-
- Meanwhile, in a skillet melt the butter with the hot sauce.
- Add the fried chicken into the hot sauce mixture and fully coat the chicken in the hot sauce.
- Prepare all the toppings for the sandwich. Assemble the sandwiches and enjoy.