Classic Monte Cristo Sandwich that will become your favorite breakfast sandwich! Loaded ham and cheese between bread slices generously dredged in an egg mixture and cooked until bread slices are crispy.
This sandwich is perfect not only for breakfast but can be enjoyed for lunch or even a lazy dinner.
Breakfast, the most important (and my personal favorite) meal of the day. Though I really enjoy sandwiches for breakfast (like our popular croissant breakfast sandwich), you can’t go wrong with a loaded omelet, the quick French toast casserole or even sausage gravy with homemade biscuits.
What is a monte cristo sandwich?
A Monte Cristo sandwich is a variation of the popular French Croque-Monsieur sandwich. The sandwich is also often called the French sandwich, toasted ham sandwich, and even French toasted ham and cheese sandwich. It really depends on where you are from and what you grew up with.
How to make a Monte Cristo Sandwich?
This sandwich comes together so quickly so you want to make sure you are ready to eat and all the ingredients are prepped.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, half & half, salt and pepper. TIP: If you’ll be using the sandwich with sweet toppings, you can skip the salt and pepper.
- Quickly dip bread slices into the egg mixture.
- Add bread slices and the remaining egg to the pan.
- Cook one side of the bread and flip the bread.
- Top with the cheese and ham, close the sandwich. TIP: Though Swiss or Gruyere cheese is traditionally used, you can use just about any cheese you have on hand.
- Cook until the cheese melts.
- ENJOY, friends.
|Chef’s TIP- You can make this sandwich one of two ways, dredge the bread in the egg mixture, fry and then add the ham and cheese. OR, you can add the cheese and ham to the bread slices, then carefully dip the whole sandwich in egg mixture and fry that way.|
What do you eat with a monte Cristo sandwich?
The amazing breakfast sandwich may be enjoyed as is or you can add topping to it and give it a sandwich that’s on the sweeter side or one that’s savory. Here are some options for toppings-
- Powdered sugar.
- Syrup or maple syrup
- Jam or jelly
- Hot sauce
|This sandwich makes it great to use up any leftover ham from the holidays or use ham from the deli.|
This ham and cheese breakfast sandwich is probably one of our family favorites! It’s so so easy to make and is so hearty and filling.
What kind of bread should I use?
You can use your favorite Italian bread for this sandwich (thicker slices work best).
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES-
- Pancake Charcuterie Board– a gorgeous way to serve breakfast.
- Oatmeal Recipe– perfect every time.
- Pancake Recipe– so fluffy and easy to make.
- Zucchini Fritters– a great way to sneak in vegetables unnoticed.
Monte Cristo Sandwich
- 2 sliced bread
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp half and half creamer
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (see note)
- 3 slices ham
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture on all sides.
- In a skillet, heat oil and butter and add the bread sices and pour the remaining egg mixture around the bread slices. Close the lid and cook on medium heat untul eggs are cooked.
- Flip the bread slices over and fold the egg mixture onto the bread.
- Top one bread slice with cheese and the other with ham and close the sandwich.
- Cover with lid and allow the cheese to melt.
- CHEESE- Though Swiss or Gruyere cheese is traditionally used, you can use just about any cheese you have on hand. Either shredded or sliced cheese will work.