This Maple Pecan French Toast Casserole will become a regular on your breakfast menu. Bread dredged in a cinnamon maple milk and egg mixture topped with pecans and a most delicious and easy maple syrup that takes the casserole to a whole new level.
The secret to getting the best breakfast French toast casserole is making sure you use the proper ingredients and proportions. You want to use a thick bread as the base, add the right amount of milk and egg mixture and any additional ingredients for flavor.
In this casserole, the maple and pecans is a phenomenal combination! The maple syrup glaze adds so much flavor to the baked casserole. This French toast recipe is the perfect balance of flavor, texture and appeal.
How do you Make an Easy French Toast Casserole?
- Start by cutting the bread loaf or slices into about 1” cubes and layer them in a 9×13 casserole dish. TIP: Be sure chunks are layered evenly so when the milk mixture is added it’ll coat all of the bread pieces.
- Combine the ingredients for the milk and egg mixture. Pour over the bread coating all bread pieces. TIP: If not all of the bread was coated, gently mix to coat and press the bread down.
- Add additional pecans.
- Bake casserole.
- Meanwhile, prepare the maple syrup. Pour syrup over casserole before serving.
What kind of bread is good for French Toast Casserole?
You want to use thick cut bread. Challah, Loaf of Italian, or brioche or French bread are all great choices. Cut bread to about 1″ thick cubes.
How do you make French Toast Casserole Overnight?
There are two methods to prepare this casserole the night before.
- Method 1: The casserole may be prepared exactly per instructions, covered and refrigerated. Additional baking time will be needed as all of the ingredients are cold.
- Method 2: Cut the bread, top with pecans and cover in a casserole dish. In a bowl combine all of the ingredients for the milk/egg mixture. Cover bowl and refrigerate. Before baking, pour the milk mixture over bread.
Casserole dish used for this recipe: 9″x13″ Casserole Dish.
How long do you bake Maple Pecan French Toast Casserole?
You don’t want to overbake the casserole! Cover the dish and bake 20 minutes, remove foil and bake an additional 15-20 minutes until top of bread are crispy and golden. TIP: If baking overnight casserole, add an additional 5 minutes to the baking time with the casserole covered.
Do you cover French Toast Casserole?
You want to cover the casserole dish for half of the baking time. If you don’t, the tops of the bread will become really crispy while the center will be uncooked.
How to serve French Toast Casserole?
This recipe is loaded with so many wonderful flavors, it can be served as is with a cup of hot tea/ coffee or a cold glass of milk.
However, I really enjoyed a side of plain whipped cream over top of the breakfast casserole. Whip the heavy whipping cream as the casserole is baking. The plain cream balances the sweetness of the casserole. (1 cup of heavy whipping cream is ideal for this size casserole.)
Try these other great breakfast recipes:
- Easy Pancake Recipe- Fluffy and soft!
- Strawberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast- The cheesecake filling is amazing.
- Pumpkin Spice French Toast- For the pumpkin lovers!
Maple Pecan French Toast Casserole
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp heavy whipping cream
- whipped heavy whipping cream, to serve, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut bread loaf evenly into 1-inch pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, heavy whipping cream, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Add chopped pecans to mixture and mix with a spatula.
- Layout bread pieces into a deep casserole dish. Pour egg mixture into casserole dish. Gently toss the coat all the bread. Add whole pecans.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F. Remove foil, bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until tops of bread are golden.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan melt butter and maple syrup. Once melted, remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream until well combined and thick glaze forms.
- Once the casserole is baked, drizzle glaze on top and serve immediately.