This French Toast Casserole Recipe has everything you want for breakfast! Bread sliced dredged in a delicious cinnamon maple mixture and topped with pecans. The breakfast casserole is baked then drizzled with a homemade maple glaze.
FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE RECIPE-
The added flavor from the maple and pecan brings this simple French Toast Casserole Recipe to a whole new level! Bread sliced and dredged in a vanilla and maple egg and milk mixture then drizzled with a homemade maple glaze, the ultimate breakfast recipe. We love serving this casserole on Christmas morning and any other time when serving guests.
INGREDIENTS FOR FRENCH TOAST BAKE-
- BREAD– You want to be sure to use thick bread such as texas toast, brioche bread, french bread or even challah bread!
- EGGS– We use eggs as the binding factor in this recipe.
- MILK– This recipe calls for whole milk but you can use skim milk, 2% milk or any non dairy milk.
- HEAVY CREAM– You can use heavy whipping cream or half and half for this recipe.
- MAPLE SYRUP– Your favorite maple syrup will work great in this recipe!
- SUGAR– This recipe calls for granulated sugar but you can also substitute it with brown sugar.
- VANILLA– Vanilla extract for extra flavor!
- CINNAMON– Ground cinnamon for added flavor.
- PECANS– You want to use chopped pecans and whole pecans for this recipe. You can also opt out of the pecans if you don’t like pecans.
- MAPLE GLAZE– For the glaze we use melted butter, maple syrup, powdered sugar, and heavy whipping cream.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE-
The French Toast Casserole comes together so quickly and is so easy to make!
- PREP– Start by cutting the bread loaf or slices into about 1-inch cubes. Add the bread cubes into a 9”×13” baking dish.
- EGG MIXTURE– Combine the ingredients for the milk and egg mixture in a large bowl. Pour over the bread coating all bread pieces. TIP: If not all of the bread was coated, gently mix to coat and press the bread down.
- BAKE– Top with the whole pecans, cover with foil and bake the French toast casserole.
- MAPLE GLAZE– Whisk together the maple glaze and pour the syrup over the casserole right before serving.
- ENJOY– Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE-
There are two methods to prepare this casserole the night before so you can enjoy it in the morning.
- OPTION 1– The casserole may be prepared exactly per instructions, covered and refrigerated. Additional baking time will be needed as all of the ingredients are cold.
- OPTION 2– Cut the bread, top with pecans and cover in a casserole dish. In a bowl combine all of the ingredients for the milk/egg mixture. Cover bowl and refrigerate. Before baking, pour the milk mixture over the bread.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
You want to use thick-cut bread. Challah, Loaf of Italian, or brioche, or French bread are all great choices. Cut bread to about 1″ thick cubes.
You want to cover the casserole dish for half of the baking time. If you don’t, the tops of the bread will become really crispy while the center will be uncooked.
We don’t recommend freezing this casserole.
Yes, read above about how to make this recipe an overnight French toast casserole.
Yes, you can substitute it for any other nuts such as almonds or walnuts. You can also totally opt out of the pecans.
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES-
There is nothing better than starting off the day right with a hearty and delicious breakfast!
Here are some of our other family favorite breakfast recipes to try:
- Cinnamon French Toast Sticks
- Easy Pancake Recipe
- Homemade Oatmeal
- Breakfast Sandwich
- Egg Frittata Recipe
- Blueberry Pancakes
French Toast Casserole Recipe
- 1 ` loaf of bread
- 1/2 cup whole pecans, topping
egg & milk mixture-
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut bread loaf evenly into 1-inch pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, heavy whipping cream, maple syrup, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Add chopped pecans to mixture and mix with a spatula.
- Layout bread pieces into a deep casserole dish. Pour egg mixture into casserole dish. Gently toss the coat all the bread. Add whole pecans.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F. Remove foil, bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until tops of bread are golden.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan melt butter and maple syrup. Once melted, remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream until well combined and thick glaze forms.
- Once the casserole is baked, drizzle glaze on top and serve immediately.
OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE-
- OPTION 1- The casserole may be prepared exactly per instructions, covered, and refrigerated. Additional baking time will be needed as all of the ingredients are cold.
- OPTION 2- Cut the bread, top with pecans, and cover in a casserole dish. In a bowl combine all of the ingredients for the milk/egg mixture. Cover bowl and refrigerate. Before baking, pour the milk mixture over the bread.