A detailed tutorial on how to make a classic Egg Frittata Recipe. Whisked eggs with cream and cheese as the base then can add your favorite vegetables and meat to complete the dish.
What is an egg frittata?
An egg frittata is a classic Italian dish made with beaten eggs with half and half and added ingredients like meats, vegetables and cheeses. The frittata may either be baked in the oven or cooked on the stovetop.
The fritta is similar to an omelet or crustless quiche.
How to make a classic egg frittata-
How to Bake frittata:
You can bake the egg frittata in different ways. Here are some options:
- STOVETOP: Grease skillet with butter or baking spray. Close the lid and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- OVEN: Grease a 9”-10” round pie dish. Bake at 375°F 20-25 minutes, or 350°F for 30-35 minutes.
- MUFFINS: Grease muffin pans and divide the egg mixture equally. Bake 375°F for 12-15 minutes.
|Do NOT overbake your frittata. Watch for your eggs to be puffed and still a little jiggly in the middle. The frittata will continue to bake even after you remove it from the oven! |
This applies to all methods of cooking.
I love making a frittata. It is a great way to use up ingredients. We love ours with different types of veggies, meats and cheeses.
If adding vegetables, we like the vegetables crunchy and don’t saute them before adding the egg mixture. However, if you like your vegetable soft and tender, saute them before adding the egg mixture. You’ll want to be sure to finely cube the vegetables:
We just add the ham without cooking. If you’ll be adding raw sausage or bacon, you want to be sure it’s cooking before adding in the egg mixture.
- Turkey bacon
Can I substitute for egg whites?
Yes, you can definitely use either whole eggs or use just egg whites for a lower calorie recipe with great results.
How to reheat:
Frittata may easily be reheated over low heat until hot.
Serve the frittata with fresh avocado, sour cream or even Pico De Gallo.
Egg Frittata Recipe
- 8 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp half and half
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (see note)
- 2 Tbsp chopped herbs
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, cheese, and herbs until combined.
- Grease the skillet with butter or baking spray. Pour egg mixture into skillet. Close the lid and cook on medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Grease a 9”-10” round pie dish. Bake at 375°F 20-25 minutes, or 350°F for 30-35minutes.
- Grease muffin pans and divide egg mixture equally. Bake 375°F for 12-15 minutes.