Look no further for the best-grilled cheese sandwich recipe! Melted cheese, nestled between two thick slices of bread. Thick, buttered-up slices of bread perfectly balance the goodness of the cheese. Enjoy this grilled cheese alone or accompanied by creamy tomato basil soup!
This classic american recipe is a staple in many households primarily due to its lack of complexity. Anyone can enjoy a homemade grilled cheese sandwich with some cheese and bread. However, we’ve found a way to make it stand out amongst other grilled cheeses. With just an extra key ingredient, you get the crispiest bread and the most flavorful sandwich.
If you love cheesy sandwiches, try our breakfast monte cristo!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Few ingredients. All it takes for the best cheese sandwich is three ingredients and seasoning.
- Diverse. You can make this grilled cheese sandwich your own by customizing the cheese and adding meat and veggies!
- Comforting. The melted cheese, along with the toasted bread, makes for an incredibly soothing meal. We know you’ll love it paired with any of our homemade soup recipes.
Ingredients for this Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
You’ll only need three ingredients; it’s so easy!
- Butter – softened butter mixed with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- French bread – thick slices make for the best sandwich.
- Cheese – slices of American cheese or mild cheddar cheese.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of ingredients and quantities.
Expert Tip for Leveling Up Your Sandwich
Add some refreshing flavor to your sandwich, and spread a thin layer of homemade pesto onto the inside of half the slices of bread.
Substitutions and Variations
- Protein: Add turkey, chicken, or ham slices to your sandwich to make it extra filling.
- Cheese: You can use your favorite cheese, whether shredded or sliced.
- Garlic bread: Add fresh minced garlic to the butter to turn your sandwich into a garlic bread cheese sandwich, offering an incredible flavor.
How to Make the Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Step 1 – Assemble: Spread the seasoned butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Add slices of cheese to half the pieces of bread and close with the other.
Step 2 – Cook: Spread butter on the outside bread slices and toast in a skillet or a griddle over low to medium heat until the bread is golden brown. Flip to get the other side toasted to perfection.
Pro Tips for Getting the PERFECT Cheese Pull
- Melted cheese: For the cheese to fully melt, you may need to lower the temperature and cover the skillet for a few minutes.
- Cheese it up: Add a variety of melty cheese to give your sandwich a unique flavor profile.
More Cooking Methods:
Air-fryer: Like our air-fried cheese quesadilla, make your grilled cheese healthier. Set the sandwich in the air fryer basket and cook at 350°F for 6-8 minutes, until the cheese melts and the bread crispy.
You want to use cheese that melts well and has flavor. You can use mozzarella cheese or Monterey jack on an excellent pull and add Gouda, Cheddar, or Havarti for added flavor.
Burnt bread could be the result of the heat being too high. Cook the sandwich over medium-low heat to allow the cheese to melt.
You can use sandwich bread, sourdough, or any bread you have. We like using French bread because of how fluffy it turns out.
Store & Reheat
- Storage. Serve this sandwich immediately for the best results, but if you have leftovers, you can tightly wrap them and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat. Warm the refrigerated sandwich on a skillet over low heat until warm again.
- Freeze. You can freeze the grilled cheese sandwich in a freezer-safe container. Reheat: On a skillet over low-medium heat, warm the sandwich until it’s thawed and reheated.
More Sandwich Recipes
If you tried this Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below – we appreciate it!
Classic Grilled Cheese Recipe
- In a small bowl, combine butter and seasoning. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- With the bread facing buttered side up, evenly spread cheese slices onto half your bread slices. Close with an empty piece of bread.
- Spread butter on the outside of the sandwich.
- Gently place the sandwich into a skillet and cook over low-medium heat. Flip the sandwich once the bottom is golden-brown.
- Once both sides are lightly toasted and the cheese melts, remove from the heat and enjoy!
- Cooking: If the bread is toasting faster than the cheese is melting, turn down the heat and cover with a lid for a few minutes.
- Air-fry: Place the sandwich in the basket of your air fryer and set it to 350°F for 6-8 minutes.
- Storage: Serve this sandwich immediately for best results, but you can also store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.