The BEST homemade bread recipe made from scratch. White bread with a crispy a crunchy crust and soft and airy bread.
Follow along to get the ultimate homemade bread with foolproof instructions!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My mom makes the best bread and this recipe was inspired by her. We grew up living off this bread. We would have it with the classic Borsht, dinners, or just with butter and jam!
homemade bread recipe-
There is literally nothing better than homemade bread. With just a few staple ingredients you can enjoy this bread and the smell of fresh-baked bread.
I am so glad my mamma passed down this recipe to me and now I am honored to share this special recipe with you guys! It does take some time for rising, but so worth the wait.
how to make homemade bread-
- In a large bowl, add warm water, top with salt, and stir the salt into the water. Sprinkle with the yeast.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the yeast. Let the yeast activate for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the sifted flour and knead for about 5-8 minutes until flour is incorporated and no lumps.
- Add the olive oil and knead for another minute.
- Cover and let the dough rise for 4-5 hours.
- Grease your bread pan with baking spray. Shape the dough into a loaf and place it into the pan.
- Let the dough rise for an additional hour. Bake in a preheated oven to 375°F for an hour.
- Once baked, let cool. Once a bit cooled, top with butter.
The best part is that it freezes wonderfully! Once baked, wait for it to completely cool and wrap loaf in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag and away it goes. When ready to use just remove from the freezer and let thaw. Once thawed, I then like to just bake it a few minutes to give the crust that crunchiness, no-one will know that the bread isn’t fresh. 🙂
Try these other Bread recipes:
- Homemade Bread Loaf– A delicious white bread recipe.
- Butter Herb Braided Bread– Bread with butter and herbs.
- Best Bread Machine Bread– The best bread machine recipe.
- Russian Bread– An amazingly soft and airy bread.
Best Homemade Bread Recipe
- In a bowl, add warm water(about 110°F) and salt and mix. Sprinkle yeast over the water and sprinkle sugar over yeast. Let sit for about 5 minutes, allowing the yeast to activate.
- Slowly ad the sifted flour to the bowl and knead for about 5-8 minutes until all the flour is well incorporated. Add the oil and knead for another minute.
- Cover the bowl and leave in a warm area and allow dough to rise for 4-5 hours.
- Two times during the rising process gently push dough down, removing air bubbles. I usually do it 1 1/2 hours after kneading and 1 1/2 hours hours after that. It doesn't need to be exact, somewhere around there.
- Grease the bread pan with baking spray. Shape the dough into a loaf and place into pan and allow to rise another hour.
- Baled at 375°F for 45-55 minutes, until bread is golden.
- When baked remove bread from pan and place onto cooling rack to fully cool. (You can butter the crust when bread is still sightly warm)