This hearty Grinder Sandwich is made with toasted bread topped with sliced meats and cheese, a creamy salad slaw. The sandwich has become a TikTok sensation and is so popular for lunch or dinner! Serve the sandwich with French Fries or the easy Sweet Potato Fries for a complete meal.
This sandwich is made on a hoagie roll, just like our homemade meatball sub. Both sandwiches are incredible and packed with so many wonderful flavors.
What You’ll Need:
- Sandwich Rolls- Your favorite hoagies or subs sandwich rolls will work great.
- Lettuce- Iceberg lettuce is the classic lettuce used, but romaine will work.
- Tomato- We used a large tomato, but cherry tomatoes will work.
- Onion- Red onion or sweet onion will work in this recipe.
- Dressing- Mayo and Italian dressing make the dressing.
- Meats- Slices of ham, turkey, and salami are the best combination for the sub.
- Peppers- We used a sweet pepper, but you can slice fresh bell peppers, roasted peppers, or leave out peppers altogether.
- Cheese- Sliced provolone cheese works great.
- Seasoning- Just a little Italian seasoning is all you need, but you can add salt and pepper if desired.
- Pepperoncini- The pepperoncini adds heat to the sandwich. If you don’t want heat, leave them out.
How to Make a Grinder Sandwich:
- Cut lettuce- Finely shred the iceberg lettuce.
- Cut onion- Slice the onion into thin strands or finely chop.
- Make the dressing- In a bowl, combine the mayo, Italian seasoning, and half of the Italian dressing for the dressing.
- Slice tomatoes- Slice the tomato.
- Cut pepper- Slice the pepper into thin strands or slices.
- Make slaw- In a large bowl, add the lettuce, onion, pepperoncini, peppers, and dressing. Toss to combine.
How to Assemble Grinder:
- Preheat oven– You’ll want to preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Toast buns- Add the slices of meat and cheese to the bun and toast for 5-8 minutes or until the bread is crispy and the cheese has melted.
- Add slaw- Take toasted bread from the oven and add the slaw, top with slices of tomatoes.
- Enjoy- Close the hoagie buns and enjoy the sandwich.
Frequently Asked Questions:
We do not recommend making the sandwich in advance. This sandwich is best if enjoyed immediately as the lettuce gets soggy.
The pepperoncini does heat the sandwich, and if you don’t like spicy food, leave it out altogether.
You can use a cabbage mix instead of lettuce or romaine.
More Sandwiches To Try:
Grinder Sandwich Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, Italian seasoning and Italian dressing.
- In a large bowl add the shredded lettuce, onion, pepperoncini, peppers and dressing and toss to combine.
- Add the slices of meat and cheese to the bun. Toast 5-8 minutes or until the bread is crispy and cheese has melts.
- Top the lettuce mixture over the melts and add the sliced tomatoes.
- Serve and Enjoy immediately.