The BEST recipe for a homemade Reuben Sandwich. Slices of corned beef with sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and our homemade Russian dressing between slices of rye bread.
Not only is the sandwich so much easier than you thought, but it is also absolutely delicious.
A classic Reuben sandwich is loaded with unique flavors that come together so well! The sandwich is made with corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, a homemade Russian dressing, and rye bread. Once assembled, the sandwich is then cooked until crispy and gooey from the melted cheese.
- BREAD– Though this recipe calls for rye bread and we love the flavor it gives the sandwich, you can use any other bread you have on hand.
- MEAT– You want to use corned beef for this sandwich. You can use either store bought from the deli department or use leftover homemade corned beef.
- SAUERKRAUT– Store-bought or homemade sauerkraut is great for this sandwich.
- CHEESE– For this recipe we recommended using Swiss cheese.
- DRESSING– Though we used our homemade Russian dressing, you can substitute for store-bought dressing!
HOW TO MAKE A REUBEN SANDWICH-
- Make dressing: Make a batch of the homemade Russian dressing. To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients and whisk together.
- Butter bread: Butter one side of each slice of bread. Turn the butter side down onto a plate to assemble the sandwich.
- Assemble sandwich: Add dressing, corned beef, sauerkraut, and swiss cheese and close the sandwich.
- Toast bread: Toast the sandwich in a skillet or using a panini press until the bread is crispy and cheese completely melts. You want to cook it over medium heat so the bread doesn’t burn and the cheese has time to melt.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
A Reuben sandwich may be enjoyed hot or cold, we prefer the sandwich hot.
Keep the sandwich tightly covered and refrigerated and it will be good 1-2 days.
You can use brisket or pastrami as a substitute for corned beef.
Sauerkraut is the main component of a classic Reuben, we do not recommend leaving it out.
Russian salad dressing is spicy while Thousand Islands is on the sweeter side, so if that is what you’d rather use, yes!
Try these other sandwich recipes-
Reuben Sandwich Recipe
- 1/2 lb corned beef
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 6 slices rye bread
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter room temp
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut drained
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- Combine all the ingredients for Russian dressing in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a large skillet, add oil. Once hot, add corned beef and cook over medium heat until the meat is heated.
- Butter one side of bread and plate bread on a plate with the buttered side down.
- Spread the Russian dressing, top with corned beef, cheese, and sauerkraut and top with a slice of bread. Butter the top of the bread.
- In a large skillet, add the sandwiches. Cook over medium heat for about 4-6 minutes, flipping once, until the cheese melts and bread is crispy.
- Serve immediately.
NOTE: Recipe developed by Valentina’s Corner and first published on Natasha’s Kitchen.