This homemade Sausage Gravy and Biscuits Recipe is breakfast comfort food! The hearty sausage gravy is served over flaky and buttery homemade biscuits.
This recipe is by far one of our family’s favorite breakfast recipes.
EASY BISCUITS AND GRAVY-
There is nothing better than a hearty comforting breakfast and this dish is just that! Buttery and flaky homemade biscuits topped with the best sausage gravy.
Sausage chunks in a rich and creamy gravy and seasoning, the perfect combination of flavor and taste. This recipe is pure comfort food and reminds you of something you’d have in a Southern restaurant.
Biscuits and Gravy Video-
Enjoy the video for this easy recipe and SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel.
WHAT YOU NEED-
This recipe is such a simple recipe that only calls for a couple of simple ingredients.
- BISCUITS– We love making a batch of our homemade golden brown biscuits to serve with this recipe. Store bought biscuits will work just fine (just reheat them before serving).
- SAUSAGE– You can use your favorite sausage: pork sausage, breakfast sausage or Italian sausage will all work great for this breakfast sausage gravy recipe.
- HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM– The heavy whipping cream is what gives you that creaminess in the gravy.
- CHICKEN BROTH– For flavor.
- BUTTER– Gives you a buttery and creamy gravy.
- ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR– The thickening agent in the gravy.
- SEASONING– We use salt and pepper but you can use any seasoning you like!
HOW TO MAKE BISCUITS AND GRAVY-
This is a complete 30-minute breakfast. Prepare the biscuits. Then, as the biscuits are baking, prepare the gravy. The meal comes together so easily!
- Biscuits– Prepare and bake the homemade biscuits in the oven using THIS recipe.
- Cook sausage– In a skillet, saute sausage until browned over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat as it’s cooked.
- Make gravy– Stir in the chicken broth with heavy whipping cream, butter and flour. Turn the heat down to medium heat and cook the mixture until the gravy thickens.
- Season gravy– Season with salt and pepper to taste. (TIP: if you want more flavor add some garlic powder.)
- Serve sausage gravy– Top the biscuits with some sausage gravy and enjoy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes, you can use whole milk, but you want to double the flour to 4 tablespoons so that the gravy thickens.
You can use your favorite sausage for this recipe.
Yes! Prepare the gravy the night before and store in the refrigerator. Then just reheat when ready to serve.
We do not recommend freezing the sausage gravy.
Add the sausage gravy into a medium saucepan and warm over medium-low heat until reheated.
You can store this gravy in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
MORE BREAKFASTS RECIPE-
- Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- Croissant Breakfast
- Breakfast Sliders
- Cinnamon French Toast
- Breakfast Tacos Recipe
- Creamy Oatmeal
Homemade Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- 1 biscuits recipe
- 16 oz sausage (pork, Italian or breakfast)
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Prepare biscuits per recipe and bake.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gravy. In a skillet, cook the sausage until fully cooked, breaking up the meat as it's cooked.
- Stir in the broth, heavy whipping cream, butter, flour and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat down to medium-low, cook until the gravy thickens.
- Serve gravy over fresh biscuits.