EASY Buttermilk Chicken Tenders Recipe. Homemade recipe for the juiciest chicken tenders in a buttermilk marinade.
The tenders are crispy on the outside yet melt-in-your-mouth tender and juicy on the inside.
We love kid-friendly recipes, and these homemade tender are the ULTIMATE kid-approved recipe. When I’m making recipes I know my kid will love, we also go for the Crispy Chicken Sandwich, Crispy Parmesan Chicken, or the Pizza Rolls and customizable Stromboli with homemade dough.
Buttermilk Chicken Tenders Recipe-
The easiest recipe for homemade chicken tenders. The tenders are dredged in a buttermilk marinade that adds so much flavor to the chicken. Once fried, the tenders become crispy and crunchy on the outside and retain the juiciness on the inside – SO GOOD!
How to make chicken tenders-
- PREP CHICKEN- Cut chicken into tenders. TIP: You can purchase pre-cut tenderloins for a quicker recipe.
- MAKE MARINADE– In a bowl (or plastic storage bag), combine the buttermilk with salt and pepper. Add chicken tenders and be sure all sides are submerged and coated in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use!
- PREPARE BREADING– In a deep dish (we just like to use a pie dish or something similar), add all of the ingredients for the breading.
- COAT CHICKEN– Take chicken tenders from the marinade and pat against the side of the bowl allowing and excess marinade to drip off. Then, generously coat the tenders in the breading patting down the tenders so all sides are coated.
- FRY TENDERS– Add enough oil to your deep skillet or dutch oven to cover half of the tenders. Once the oil is how gently lower the chicken into the oil and fry until golden on both sides.
|Chef’s TIP: Serve the tenders with homemade fries, sweet potato fries, or |
even zucchini fries for a healthier option.
frequenlty asked questions-
Yes, to bake the tenders, prepare per instructions and generously spray with cooking spray. Bake in a preheated oven to 400°F, 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the tenders.
If you do not have buttermilk on hand you can make your own! Just mix together 3/4 cup whole milk, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 Tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar.
You can keep the tenders refrigerated 1-2 days. Reheat before serving.
We use canola oil, you can also use vegetable oil or olive oil for this recipe.
Reheat tenders over low heat in a skillet or in the oven until heated.
We recommend at least 1 hour of allowing the chicken to marinate or overnight.
YES! This recipe would be perfect for chicken nuggets. The frying time will be less as the meat pieces are smaller.
|Freezer-Friendly Instructions- Cook tenders per recipe and completely cool. Transfer to a freezer bag and freeze. To reheat, thaw overnight and bake until heated. Or, cover frozen tenders with foil and reheat at 350F until heated.|
Friends, I can’t wait for you to give these chicken tenders a try! You are in for a TREAT! 🙂
Other Chicken Recipes-
- Chicken Parmesan– classic recipe with homemade marinara.
- Lo Mein– with the easiest sauce.
- Chicken in Skillet– a family favorite.
- Fettuccine Alfredo– in our amazing Alfredo sauce!
Crispy Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
- 2 lbs chicken tenderloins
- oil, for frying
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- In a deep bowl, combine buttermilk, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken tenders to the marinade and marinate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Combine all the ingredients for the breading in a deep dish.
- Remove the chicken tenders from the marinade allowing excess marinate to drip off.
- Generously dredge into the breading mixture.
- In a deep skillet, add oil for frying (about 3 inches deep). Once oil is hot, add one chicken at a time.
- Fry the chicken tenders 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking (until all sides are crispy and golden).
- Enjoy chicken tenders with the desired dipping sauce!