This homemade Refrigerator Pickles recipe is a treat to be enjoyed all year round. The crispy pickles require no canning and take about 10-minutes to make.
These crunchy cucumbers are a great substitute for a salad for any dish.
Refrigerator pickles are so easy to prepare and are a great side for any meal. The crunchy freshness of the pickles feels like you are enjoying a fresh cucumber. The dill and garlic add flavor and the brine gives it juicy crispiness.
Once you try the pickles, you’ll want to have some in your refrigerator at all times.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
How to make refrigerator pickles-
- Create pickling brine by combining water, pickling salt, garlic, peppercorn, and crushed peppers. Whisk until the salt melts.
- Cut off the ends of your pickling cucumbers.
- TIghtly pack mason jars or pot with cucumbers and fresh dill.
- Pour brine over cucumbers. Allow the cucumbers to sit a room temp for 2 days, then refrigerate.
For crispy pickles, refrigerate the pickles after two days. If you like the taste of your pickles to that of barrel pickles, leave them at room temp 3 to 4 days. They will give off the flavor as if they were canned in a barrel. They aren’t as crispy as they would be if you were refrigerated them after two days but they are more moist and flavorful. Just a different experience.
NOTE: You can either pickle the cucumbers in mason jars or use a large cooking pot. The method of preparation will remain the same.
Tip: For the first two days, you’ll need the pickles to breathe, cover them with cheesecloth or leave your jars slightly open. When I pickle them in a pot, I just cover them with a plate and set something heavy over the plate so the pickles are completely submerged in the water. Then, just cover with a kitchen towel. Once I transfer the pickles to the refrigerator, I just close the pot with a lid or jars with lids.
I hope you try and enjoy the recipe for these dill pickles. If you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag us on social media. We love to see your creations. #valentinascorner
- 4 lbs cucumbers
- 2 small dill stem heads
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 7 cups lukewarm water, boiled and cooled
- 2½ Tbsp pickling salt
- 10 garlic cloves, sliced
- 8 black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine the water with salt, peppercorns, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Mix until the salt completely dissolves.
- Wash the cucumbers. Cut off the ends of the cucumbers.
- Tightly pack cucumbers in mason jars or a cooking pot.
- Add the remaining dill and dill stem/over tops of cucumbers.
- Pour brine over cucumbers.
- Allow the cucumbers to sit a room temp for 2 days, then refrigerate. (Wait at least 4 days to enjoy the refrigerator pickles.)