EASY Homemade Salisbury Steak Recipe! Tender and flavor-packed beef patties smothered in a rich mushroom gravy – the BEST recipe.
This quick 30-minute one-pan dish is popular with kids and adults alike.
what is Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury steak is a popular dish originating in the United States that’s rather inexpensive and uses minimal ingredients you most likely already have. Juicy seasoned ground beef patties smothered in a mushroom gravy (with or without onions).
This dish comes together so quickly and most of the prep work can be done in advance. This is the perfect easy yet hearty dinner everyone will love true COMFORT FOOD!
How to make Salisbury steak?
I love that the Salisbury steak is made with simple ingredients you most likely already have in your fridge and pantry.
- PREPARE PATTIES-In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients for the beef patties. Mix mixture until well incorporated. Shape meat into 4 round (or oval) patties and flatten the center for even thickness.
- COOK PATTIES– Cook the meat patties until they are golden brown on both sides. Remove the patties from the skillet and cover to keep warm. (NOTE: Using lean meat is best in this recipe, 90% works best.)
- PREPARE MUSHROOMS- Saute the onion in the same skillet, just until they start to become tender, add in the garlic and butter and stir. Add the sliced mushrooms, saute until browned, cook until browned. Lightly season with salt and pepper. TIP: The onion may be finely chopped or sliced into thin long strands.
- MAKE GRAVY– In a medium bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the gravy and pour into the mushroom and onion mixture. Cook the gravy over medium heat until the gravy thickens, stir as needed. Return the beef patties back to the pan. Cook until patties are reheated.
|Serve the Salisbury Steak with creamy Mashed Potatoes and homemade Breadsticks with a side of Roasted Vegetables!|
Commonly asked questions-
Yes, you can freeze Salisbury Steak! Cook and cool, then transfer to a freezer-safe container. That overnight and reheat in skillet over low heat or baked until reheated.
Hamburger patties are made with meat and seasoned with salt and pepper. A Salisbury Steak has more ingredients, similar to a meatball and is in a mushroom gravy.
This one-pan recipe keeps in the refrigerator for 3-4 day.
|CHEF’S TIP- If your kids are picky and will not eat the mushrooms, quarter them instead of slicing and they’ll be easier to pick out.|
Once you give this homemade Salisbury Steak recipe a try, you’ll never purchase store-bought or order at a restaurant again.
CLASSIC COMFORT FOOD RECIPES-
- Meatloaf Recipe– with the BEST glaze.
- Meatballs– in a homemade marinara.
- Shepherd’s Pie– loaded with vegetables.
- Crockpot Roast– so juicy and tender.
- Pork Chops– so easy.
EASY Homemade Salisbury Steak Recipe
For the Salisbury Steak:
- In a bowl combine the ingredients for the Salisbury steak. Mix until well combined and shape into 4 even sized patties, either round or oval.
- In a skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil, once hot, add the steak patties to the skillet and cook until the patties are fully cooked. Remove patties and cover to keep warm.
- Finely chop the onion, saute the onion in a skillet with oil. Once the onions are tender, add the minced garlic and butter, cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Peel and slice the mushrooms. Add to the skillet and saute until mushrooms are browned. Light season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, broth, water, Worcestershire, dijon mustard, ketchup, salt, and pepper. Add the gravy mixture to the mushrooms and cook until gravy thickens.
- Place the patties back to the pan and cover with the mushroom gravy and cook until the patties are warm.
NOTE: This recipe was developed by Valentina’s Corner and first published on Natasha’s Kitchen.