Homemade Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe. Ground beef cooked in a gravy sauce with vegetables and topped with a layer of mashed potatoes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
shepherd’s pie recipe-
Shepherd’s Pie if (also known as Cottage Pie, depending on the meat used) is ground meat (lamb or beef) cooked in a sauce with vegetables of choice and gravy and layered with mashed potatoes. It’s such an easy one-pan dish and extremely simple to make (just takes a little bit of baking.. be patient.. worth every minute..).
how to make shepherd’s pie-
This recipe is so so easy! While your potatoes are boiling, prepare the meat layer, add everything to a baking dish in layers, and bake.
- MEAT: Sautee the meat until browned with onion and garlic. Add bay leaves and tomatoes and everything for the homemade gravy!.
- VEGETABLES: You can use frozen or fresh vegetables, cubed. Mix in the vegetables and cook until tender.
- MASHED POTATOES: While the meat is sauteed, cook and mash the potatoes (per RECIPE).
- ASSEMBLE: In a 9-inch round casserole dish, add the meat and vegetables. Add spoonfuls of mashed potatoes. (You can use an 8-inch casserole dish, with longer baking time)
- BAKE: Bake the Sheperd’s Pie uncovered for about 30 minutes until tops of the mashed potatoes are golden.
can you freeze shepherd’s pie?
Sheperd’s pie may be frozen before or after baking and will keep in the freezer up to 2 months (I’ve never tested keeping it past 2 months). Here’s how to freeze and reheat Sheperd’s Pie:
UNCOOKED: Prepare per instructions and freeze before baking. Cover with foil and tightly wrap with plastic wrap. TO BAKE: Place in the refrigerator until thawed for even cooking.
COOKED: Allow the pie to cool completely. Cover dish with foil and wrap with plastic wrap. Reheat covered with foil until heated or microwave until warm.
Oh, I just can’t wait for you to give our version of the traditional hearty pie a try. The flavors come together so well and make for a wonderful dinner. Shepherd’s Pie = Pure comfort food.
Try these other great recipes:
- Easy Meat and Potatoes– Comfort food at its finest!
- Pan Fried Potatoes with Meat– Classic Ukrainian dish.
- Pork Feta and Mushrooms– The feta gives so much flavor!
Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe with Beef
- 2 lbs mashed potato
- 1½ lbs ground beef (10%-15% fat)
- 1 Tbsp oil (canola or olive oil)
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chicken broth (or beef broth)
- 3 Tbsp diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp ketchup
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, more if desired
- Prepare mashed potatoes.
meat and vegetables-
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a skillet, saute ground beef, breaking apart the meat as it's cooking.
- Once the beef is cooking, add chopped onions and oil. Cook until onions are tender.
- Stir in the flour and garlic, add the bay leaves. Pour in the broth.
- When the mixture thickens, add in the chopped tomatoes, ketchup, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Add in the vegetables and bring to a simmer again, stirring as needed.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the bottom of a casserole dish, discarding the bay leaves. Top with creamy mashed potatoes.
- With the back of a fork, add design to potatoes.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until potatoes start to turn golden.
- Enjoy, friends!