A classic and hearty Shepherd’s Pie Recipe. The bottom layer is ground beef with veggies in a flavor-packed gravy sauce then topped with a layer of creamy mashed potatoes.
EASY SHEPHERD’S PIE RECIPE-
Shepherd’s Pie (also known as Cottage Pie, depending on the meat used) is ground meat (lamb or beef) with vegetables of choice cooked in gravy then layered with mashed potatoes. It’s such an easy one-pan dish and is extremely simple to make (just takes a little bit of baking.. be patient.. worth every minute).
Since the pie already has meat, veggies, and potatoes in the dish, you don’t need them aside. However, fresh dinner rolls would really complete the dinner!
HOW TO MAKE SHEPHERD’S PIE-
- Cook potatoes– Prepare the mashed potatoes (we like using THIS recipe).
- Cook meat– Saute the meat with the onion until browned, breaking up the meat as it’s cooked. Season the meat with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Make gravy– Stir in garlic, then flour and add the bay leaves. Pour in the broth, cook until gravy thickens. Add the chopped tomatoes, ketchup and season with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper (or to taste).
- Add vegetables– Mix in the vegetables and cook until tender (fresh or frozen will work).
- Assemble the pie– In a 8-inch casserole dish, add the meat and vegetables mixture. Add spoonfuls of mashed potatoes, then spread out evenly.
- Bake pie– Bake the Shepherd’s pie uncovered for about 30 minutes until the tops of the mashed potatoes are golden.
Can I freeze the pie-
Yes, this pie freezes GREAT! Shepherd’s pie may be frozen before or after baking and will keep in the freezer up to 2 months.
- Uncooked – Prepare as per instructions and freeze before baking. Cover with foil and tightly wrap with a few layers of plastic wrap.
- To bake: Completely thaw in the refrigerator before baking. Bake per instruction.
- Cooked – Allow the pie to cool completely. Cover the dish with foil and wrap with a few layers of plastic wrap. Thaw and reheat covered with foil until heated or microwave until warm.
How long do I cook Shepherd’s pie-
The bake time of the pie will depend on the size of your casserole dish. The thicken the layers the longer the bake time will be.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Assemble the shepherd’s pie according to the instructions and then store in the fridge overnight then bake according to recipe instructions.
Yes, you can use beef, chicken, pork, and lamb for this recipe.
The classic shepherd’s pie doesn’t call for cheese but you can top the pie with shredded cheese for a cheesy pie.
More comfort foods
If you love comfort food as much as we do, you’ll love these other dinner recipes.
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe with Beef
- 2 lbs mashed potato
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (10%-15% fat)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chicken broth (or beef broth)
- 3 Tbsp diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp ketchup
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, more if desired
Prepare mashed potatoes-
- Peel, quarter and boil potatoes. Once cooked, mash. We like to use our mashed potatoes recipe.
Meat and vegetables-
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil. Once hot, saute the ground beef with onions, breaking apart the meat as it's cooking.
- Stir in the garlic and then flour, add the bay leaves. Pour in the broth.
- When the mixture thickens, add in the chopped tomatoes, ketchup, season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Add in the vegetables and bring to a simmer again, stirring as needed.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the bottom of a casserole dish, discarding the bay leaves. Top with creamy mashed potatoes.
- With the back of a fork, add design to potatoes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until potatoes start to turn golden.
- Enjoy, friends!
- Uncooked – Cover with foil and tightly wrap with a few layers of plastic wrap.
- Cooked – Cool completely, cover with foil and plastic wrap. Completely thaw before cooking or reheating.