A homemade easy chicken pot pie recipe made with a crispy and flakey pie crust filled with a hearty chicken and vegetable filling.
EASY CHICKEN POT PIE-
This hearty chicken pot pie recipe is so easy to make and tastes way better than any store-bought pot pie! The combination of flavors from the flakey homemade pie crust with the hearty and creamy chicken and veggie filling is wonderful.
|What is Pot Pie? Pot pie is meat and veggie-filled pie baked in a deep dish.|
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN POT PIE-
I love how versatile this pot pie is and you can adjust the filling to what you have on hand!
- Pie dough– You can use either homemade pie crust or store bought pie crust.
- Meat– You can use canned cooked shredded chicken, homemade cooked shredded chicken, or any leftover chicken. Rotisserie chicken always works great. If you want to use turkey you can also use leftover turkey!
- Veggies– We use frozen corn, carrots, and peas. You can use any frozen or fresh veggies you like. If you have leftover roasted veggies that works great too!
- Hearty sauce– The creamy and hearty sauce is what brings this dish together!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN POT PIE-
This is our version of the traditional pot pie recipe, it’s so easy to make and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- Prepare pie crust– Prepare one portion of our homemade pie crust or use store-bought crust.
- Prepare filling– Saute the onions then add garlic, whisk in flour. Pour in the liquids, seasonings, and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Add veggies & chicken– Once thickened, stir in the vegetables and shredded chicken, set the filling aside to cool completely. (Tip: If you don’t allow the filling to cool completely, the bottom of the pie crust will be mushy and not crispy.)
- Roll out bottom pie– Roll out and fit one of the pie crusts in a pie dish.
- Fill pie– Fill with the cooled chicken and vegetable filling.
- Add top to pie dough– Roll out the second pie crust, top filling and pinch edges together. Create slates in the pie crust.
- Bake pie– Bake the pot pie, allow it to slightly cook so the filling sets and isn’t runny!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
If you see that the crust is browning too soon, you can cover the edges of the crust with a foil, leaving the center open to continue baking.
You do not have to egg wash the pie but if you want a crispier pie crust you can brush it with egg wash!
Yes! You can use chicken, turkey, and even baked ham!
Yea, most definitely. You can substitute a store-bought pie crust for this homemade version.
Yes, the pot pie freezes wonderfully. Prepare per instruction, cover the dish and freeze for up to 3 months. Be sure to thaw overnight in the refrigerator or else the filling will be uncooked while the rest of the pie burns.
Yes, prepare the filling and pie crust ahead of time and when ready assemble and bake!
MORE COMFORT FOODS-
Homemade Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Prepare one recipe of pie dough. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a saucepan, cook chicken until fully cooked, (lightly season with salt), about 10 minutes. Remove chicken water and shred the chicken into pieces and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute chopped onion with butter.
- Once the onion is tender, add minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour into the skillet and mix until well combined.
- Pour in the broth, heavy whipping cream and seasonings. Cook until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the vegetables and chicken, one the filling comes to a boil, remove from heat and completely cool.
- Top with the second pie crust, seal and flute the edges. Add slashes to the center of pie crust.
- Cover the pot pie with foil and bake at 375°F for 40 minutes.
- Uncover the chicken pot pie and cook an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Enjoy, friends.