This hearty Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits is that comfort food the entire family enjoys. The creamy chicken and vegetable filling topped with homemade flakey biscuits is a wonderful combination.
CHICKEN POT PIE WITH BISCUITS-
There is nothing better than the taste of hearty and warm chicken pot pie for dinner! Whether you make the classic chicken pot pie with pie crust, or this chicken pot pie filling with flakey and buttery biscuits, you cannot go wrong. Shredded chicken and loads of veggies in a thick and creamy sauce, topped with homemade biscuits, and then baked to perfection!
If you like recipes that remind you of being in mom’s kitchen, this chicken pot pie recipe with biscuits is the one!
With just a few simple ingredients, you can have this delicious comforting dish ready in no time!
- Chicken– You can use any leftover chicken or use our Shredded Chicken recipe.
- Vegetables– We love to use the frozen mixed vegetable blend, you can use any blend of veggies. We like using the classic blend of carrots, corn, green beans, and peas.
- Butter– To make the creamy base for the pot pie, we use unsalted butter. You can also use salted butter but be sure to adjust the salt when seasoning.
- Onion– Finely chopped cooking onion adds so much flavor to this dish.
- Garlic– Freshly minced garlic works best for this dish.
- Flour– To thicken the sauce, we use all-purpose flour.
- Chicken Broth– For the creamy base we use chicken broth, but you can also use vegetable broth or even water with chicken bouillon.
- Heavy Whipping Cream– For the best results use heavy whipping cream. You can also use half-and-half creamer, you might need to adjust the flour to make it thicker.
- Seasoning– For the seasoning, we just use the classic salt and pepper and some Italian seasoning for added flavors.
- Biscuits– We use our Simple Homemade Biscuit dough for this recipe. You can also use the store-bought Pillsbury biscuits for easier prep time.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN POT PIE WITH BISCUITs-
This recipe comes together so fast and is truly the ultimate comfort food!
- Chicken– Prepare a batch of our homemade Shredded Chicken. Shred the chicken and set it aside.
- Prepare the filling– In a deep skillet, over medium heat, sauté the onions with the butter until tender and golden. Add in the minced garlic and saute until fragrant. Stir in the flour and then add in the broth and heavy cream along with the seasoning. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Combine– Once the sauce is thick, add the shredded chicken and the veggies to the pan and mix to combine.
- Biscuits– Prepare a batch of our homemade biscuit dough.
- Assemble– Add the chicken mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish. Top with scoops of the biscuit dough, using up all the dough, and brush with melted butter.
- Bake– Bake until the biscuits are golden brown and the sauce is bubbly and warm.
- Serve– When serving, garnish with fresh herbs like cilantro, thyme, or parsley. Serve hot and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, you can freeze it before or after baking. Before: Prepare per instruction, cover, and freeze. Then thaw overnight and bake as instructed. After: Bake pie with biscuits and once cooled, cover tightly and freeze
We do NOT recommend using canned chicken breast for this dish. You can use a rotisserie chicken though!
Yes! You can use chicken, turkey, and even baked ham!
Store the chicken pot pie in an airtight container, making sure the biscuits are on top and not covering them in the base or they will get soggy and mushy.
Yes! Make the base for this pot pie and store it in the fridge for up to 2-3 days! When ready to cook, prepare the biscuits on top and bake!
Yes! Just be sure to saute them or blanch them so they do not come out raw! You can add finely chopped celery without blanching.
Yes! Just leave the chicken out and make this a veggie pot pie! Add in more vegetables and even potatoes.
MORE COMFORT FOOD RECIPES:
Comfort food is our favorite type of recipe for us. We just love getting the family around the table and enjoying dinner and each other’s company. Here are some of our favorite recipes:
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Sheperd’s Pie with Beef
- Easy Meatloaf Recipe
- Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Chicken Thighs in the Oven
- Crockpot Chicken Alfredo
Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits Topping
- Make a half a portion of the homemade biscuits dough and set aside (don't bake).
- Make 1 portion of shredded chicken (or use leftover chicken). Shred the chicken and set it aside.
- In a deep skillet, over medium-heat, sauté the onions with the butter until tender and golden.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add flour and stir until combined.
- Once the sauce is thick, add the shredded chicken and the veggies to the pan and mix to combine.
- Spread the chicken mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish. Top with scoops of the biscuit dough, using up all the dough and brush with melted butter.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden brown and the sauce is bubbly and warm.
- Garnish with fresh herbs like cilantro, thyme or parsley to serve.