This Creamy Vegetable Tilapia Recipe is such a crowd pleaser! Tender tilapia fillets under a bed of creamy vegetables and herbs, topped with cheese and baked! The flavors come together and create a delicious seafood casserole.
This tilapia recipe is going to beat any recipe you’ve ever tried, true story!
Cooking tilapia itself may taste bland at times. However, in this recipe, the battered and fried tilapia fish itself is so crispy on the outside yet flaky and tender on the inside. The onion, carrots and peppers are sautéed until tender. Then the vegetables are then combined with a cream and ketchup mixture, added with fresh dill and cilantro to give the creamy mixture a taste that’s indescribable. Lastly the vegetable mixture is spread over the tilapia in a casserole dish, topped with shredded cheese and baked.
This is the perfect dish to make for a party or get together. Everyone will rave and ask for the recipe!
What is Tilapia Fish?
Tilapia fish is a common name for the many different species of the cichlid tribe fish. It mainly inhabits lakes, rivers and shallow streams. It is an inexpensive fish to purchase and catch as it can be caught in artisanal fishing.
How to Cook Tilapia-
Though tilapia can be cooked quickly in a skillet, it may also be baked in the oven. This oven baked tilapia casserole is going to become a seafood casserole favorite!
Can the herbs be substituted?
Though I use a combination of fresh dill and cilantro in this tilapia casserole, you can use your favorite herbs. A combination of dill and parsley will work, or even parsley and cilantro. Herbs are an important part of this recipe so don’t skimp on them!
Can the Tilapia with Vegetables be made in advance?
Yes! This is the perfect dish to prepare in advance, even the day before. Then llow the fried fish and sautéed creamy vegetables to cool completely before assembling adding all of the ingredients to the casserole dish.
Prepare recipe as indicated and refrigerate covered before baking. The dish may need an extra 5 minutes of baking time since it will be cold.
I hope you loved this recipe. If you make it, don’t forget to tag us on social media, #ValentinasCorner. I just love seeing your creations!
GETTING TO KNOW YOU: What’s your favorite seafood recipe? Share in the comments below. 🙂
Try these other great fish recipes:
- Buttered Cod– Simple and delicious dinner!
- Flounder with Vegetables Recipe– Another great seafood recipe.
- Blackened Tilapia Fish Recipe– A light and simple tilapia recipe!
Creamy Vegetable Tilapia Recipe
- 1 pound tilapia fish filets, halved (4 large fillets)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 large red pepper, finely cubed
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 4 Tbsp canola oil (or olive oil)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cut fillets in half lengthwise.
- In a medium bowl, combine ingredients for the milk mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine ingredients for the flour mixture.
- Dip each fillet into the milk mixture and then generously coat in the flour mixture.
- Add enough oil to the bottom of a large skillet to cover skillet. Once the oil is hot, add the fillets. Fry until golden. Repeat with remaining filets. Set aside.
- Finely chop onion. In a large skillet, on med/high heat, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and chopped onions.
- Grate the carrots. Cube peppers. Add to onions. (Add more oil if the skillet is dry) Saute about 5 minutes. Once vegetables are tender, add minced garlic.
- Combine the ingredients for the sauce. Add to the vegetables and bring to a simmer. Add chopped cilantro and dill.
- In a 9"x13" baking dish, cover bottom with a thin layer of the vegetable mixture.
- Add the tilapia into casserole dish.
- Completely cover the tilapia with the remaining vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese. (If you are not a fan of cheese, omit completely). Cover dish with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven to 375°F for about 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown and bubble.
NOTE: This is an updated old post. 🙂