This Creamy Vegetable Tilapia Recipe is such a crowd pleaser! Tender tilapia fillets under a bed of creamy vegetables and herbs, topped with cheese and baked! The flavors come together and create a delicious seafood casserole.
This tilapia recipe is going to beat any recipe you’ve ever tried, true story!
baked Tilapia recipe-
Cooking tilapia itself may taste bland at times. However, in this recipe, the battered and fried tilapia fish itself is so crispy on the outside yet flaky and tender on the inside. The onion, carrots and peppers are sautéed until tender. Then the vegetables are then combined with a cream and ketchup mixture, added with fresh dill and cilantro to give the creamy mixture a taste that’s indescribable. Lastly the vegetable mixture is spread over the tilapia in a casserole dish, topped with shredded cheese and baked.
This is the perfect dish to make for a party or get together. Everyone will rave and ask for the recipe!
What is Tilapia Fish?
Tilapia fish is a common name for the many different species of the cichlid tribe fish. It mainly inhabits lakes, rivers and shallow streams. It is an inexpensive fish to purchase and catch as it can be caught in artisanal fishing.
How to Cook Tilapia recipe-
Though tilapia can be cooked quickly in a skillet, it may also be baked in the oven. This oven baked tilapia casserole is going to become a seafood casserole favorite!
- FRY FILLETS: Dredge the fillets into the milk mixture then into the flour mixture.
- In a skillet, heat oil until hot and fry the fillets until golden. Repeat with all the fillets.
- VEGETABLES: In a skillet, sauté the chopped onions until tender. Add the grated carrots and cubed peppers to the onion and sauté until cooked. Mince the garlic and add to skillet and sauté until fragrant.
- SAUCE: Add the ingredients for the sauce into the skillet and bring to a simmer. Mix in the chopped greens.
- ASSEMBLE: Add a thin layer of the vegetable mixture to the bottom of the casserole dish and add the tilapia into the dish. (TIP: The fillets should be enough just for one layer.)
- Add the rest of the creamy spread on top of the fish and top with the shredded cheese.
- Cover the-dish with foil and bake until cooked and cheese is bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can the herbs be substituted?
Though I use a combination of fresh dill and cilantro in this tilapia casserole, you can use your favorite herbs. A combination of dill and parsley will work, or even parsley and cilantro. Herbs are an important part of this recipe so don’t skimp on them!
Can the Tilapia with Vegetables be made in advance?
Yes! This is the perfect dish to prepare in advance, even the day before. Then llow the fried fish and sautéed creamy vegetables to cool completely before assembling adding all of the ingredients to the casserole dish.
Prepare recipe as indicated and refrigerate covered before baking. The dish may need an extra 5 minutes of baking time since it will be cold.
I hope you loved this recipe. If you make it, don’t forget to tag us on social media, #ValentinasCorner. I just love seeing your creations!
Try these other great fish recipes:
- Buttered Cod– Simple and delicious dinner!
- Flounder with Vegetables Recipe– Another great seafood recipe.
- Blackened Tilapia Fish Recipe– A light and simple tilapia recipe!
- Fish Tacos– the ultimate tacos loaded with fish!
Creamy Vegetable Tilapia Recipe
- 1 lb tilapia fish filets, halved (4 large fillets)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 large red pepper, finely cubed
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 4 Tbsp canola oil (or olive oil)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ tsp ground pepper, or to taste
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- Cut fillets in half lengthwise.
- In separate bowls, combine the ingredients for the milk mixture and the flour mixture.
- Dredge the fish fillets into the milk mixture then into the flour mixture. Repeat with all of the fillets.
- In a large skillet, add oil enough to cover the bottom of the skillet. Once the oil is hot, fry the dredged fillets until golden. Fry all the fillets and set aside.
- Finely chop the onions, grate the carrots, and cube the peppers. Saute the onions with 2 Tbsp oil in a skillet until tender. Add the carrots and peppers with 2 more Tbsp oil and cook until vegetables are cooked.
- Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant. Combine and add the ingredients for the sauce into the skillet. Mix and bring the sauce to a simmer and add the chopped greens.
- In a 9"x13" baking dish, cover bottom with a thin layer of the vegetable mixture and add the fillets by laying them evenly as one layer in the baking sheet.
- Top the fillets with the remaining vegetable mixture and top with shredded cheese. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven to 375°F for about 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown and bubble.