A simple and quick recipe for Cod Fish pan-seared in a skillet. The fish is seasoned and cooked in butter and served with herbs and fresh lemon. The cod is so buttery, flakey, and melts in your mouth.
This easy recipe is ready from start to finish in under 10 minutes, perfect for a lazy dinner when craving seafood.
This truly is the best recipe for cod. The fish become so flavorful, flakey and melts in your mouth tender. The butter penetrates into the cod and combined with the seasonings, lemon and herbs is a phenomenal fish recipe.
How to Cook Cod fish-
This is the easiest recipe for cod fillets in a skillet you will find. You are going to love the recipe and prepare it over and over again. Even your picky eaters will approve and ask for seconds.
- PREPARE SEASONING: Combine the ground paprika, salt, pepper and garlic powder. TIP: If you like spicy food, add ground cayenne pepper or chili, to taste.
- CUT COD: Keep the cod whole (and cook an extra minute), or cut into smaller pieces. Season all sides of the cod.
- COOK COD: Heat 2 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cod to the melted butter and cook 2 minutes. Turn heat down to medium and flip the cod over. Top with remaining butter and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- SERVE: Drizzle lemon juice over cod and top with fresh cilantro or parsley before serving.
frequently asked questions-
You can use any cod fillet. An Alaskan or wild-caught cod will perform best in this recipe. However, your favorite cod fish will work.
The thickness of the cod fillet will impact the cooking time of the fish.
-A thicker and larger fillet will require approximately 9-12 minutes of cooking.
-A thinner fillet will cook quicker, about 6-8 minutes.
Yes, store-bought frozen cod will work. Just be sure to completely thaw the cod fillets before cooking. Thaw the cod in the refrigerator.
NOTE: You don’t want to cook the cod when it’s still frozen.
I hope this cod recipe becomes our new favorite fish to enjoy when you want a quick meal.
Try these other seafood recipes:
- Flounder with Vegetables– This quick recipe in a skillet is a must try.
- Fish Tacos– amazing flavor.
- Tilapia– Popular for a good reason, SOO GOOD!
- Shrimp Tacos– with the best sauce.
- Baked Salmon with Asparagus– Oven-baked and so quick.
Buttered Cod Fish Recipe (Video)
- 1 1/2 lbs cod fillets
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, sliced
- Combine the ingredients for the seasoning in a small bowl.
- Cut cod into smaller pieces, if desired. Season all sides of the cod with the seasoning.
- Heat 2 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once butter melts, add cod to skillet. Cook 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Gently flip the cod. Top with remaining butter and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Butter will completely melt and the fish will cook. (Don’t overcook the cod, it will become mushy and completely fall apart.)
- Drizzle cod with fresh lemon juice and herbs. Serve immediately.
- Enjoy, friends.