This Easy Meat and Potato Casserole is going to become your go-to casserole dish for busy evenings. Potatoes topped with ground meat, tomatoes and cheese is the perfect combination.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Easy meat and potato casserole for busy evenings!
I know how busy most of you mamas are and I just have to share this easy potato casserole with ground meat, tomatoes and cheese recipe with you. This easy meat and potato casserole might not be the recipe to impress your guests, but, for a busy night with the family, this easy potato casserole is absolutely fantastic. The prep time is so minimal, it is the perfect casserole to make for busy evenings!
What seasoning should I use?
You can use Lawry’s seasoning, Mrs. Dash or even Vegeta All works great.
What kind of cheese can I use?
I love how tender the potatoes become once baked in this dish. You take a bite and you get potatoes, ground meat with cheese and tomatoes – all in one bite. I absolutely love cheese in this cheesy potato casserole. It adds all the more flavor. A recipe cannot get better than this. If you’re a cheese lover, add more cheese than the indicated amount and it will be even cheesier.
Mozzarella cheese may be used. Colby Jack will also work fine!
Can I substitute ground pork?
Yes, you may definitely substitute for ground chicken or turkey!
What herbs should I use?
You can use your favorite herbs. Cilantro, parsley or dill are all great options.
How do I cut potatoes for a potato casserole?
The potato in this potato casserole recipe needs to be sliced really thin so they are evenly baked. I use a Mandoline Slicer to ensure all the slices are the same in size. If you don’t have a mandoline slicer, slice by hand then half or quarter the slicer. If the slices are too thick, the meat with dry out and the potatoes will be undercooked.
I hope the images for this Easy Meat and Potato Casserole have built up an appetite for you! Please be sure to tag us on social media if you make this recipe (or in our Facebook GROUP). I LOVE to see your creations.
Also, I love reading your feedback in the comments below. Share your thoughts on this recipe. 🙂 It helps me know what to make next.
Other casseroles to try:
- Potato Chicken and Mushroom Casserole– Casserole with mushrooms and chicken? Yes, please!
- Potato and Meat Casserole– If you enjoy pork, you’ll love this recipe.
Meat and Potato Casserole
- 6 potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 ½ tsp oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp half and half
- ½ tsp Lawry’s seasoning, or your favorite seasoning
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 Tbsp butter, sliced
- 3 Tbsp favorite herbs, chopped
- 5 campari tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel the potatoes. Slice thin with a slicer. Cover potatoes with cold water.
- In a large skillet, heat oil; add the onion and sautee. Add ground pork. Saute until meat is browned, breaking up the meat as you mix (about 4-5).
- Add the ¾ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, ½ Lawry’s seasoning (you can use Vegeta, Mrs. Dash or whatever your favorite seasoning is) and garlic. Mix well.
- Drain the water from the potatoes. Pat dry, add to a 9"x13" casserole dish. Season with the 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper (or to taste) add half & half. Toss and spread evenly.
- Spread the ground meat over the potatoes.
- Add the sliced butter over the meat. Add your favorite herb(s). Top with the tomatoes and shredded cheese.
- Cover casserole with foil. Bake 35-40 minutes, check for readiness; with a sharp knife pierce the potatoes, if soft, they’re ready. Bake another 3-5 minutes without foil so cheese starts to become golden. Serve immediately.