This Vegetable Chicken Stroganoff Recipe is a much lighter and healthier version of the classic Russian chicken stroganoff recipe.
what is chicken stroganoff?
The classic recipe for Russian beef or chicken stroganoff is sautéed meat strips with mushrooms slices in a creamy sour cream sauce. It’s a popular recipe in our European community. Everyone kind of has their own way of creating it and tweaking it to their personal liking.
This recipe is so different I’m not even sure I can keep the stroganoff name in the title, but I will keep it since that’s where the inspiration came from. There, I said it, saved many of you the desire to comment how this isn’t stroganoff. Haha. You’re welcome.
how to make chicken stroganoff with pasta:
Chicken breast or chicken thighs may be used in this recipe. Cut into thin strips regardless what cut of meat you use.
Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain, keep covered and set aside. If not using pasta immediately, run pasta under cold water. Pasta will not stick together. Just reheat when needed.
Sautee the chicken with the vegetables in the creamy sauce with fresh basil.
Fresh basil really compliments the dish. If you don’t have fresh basil, cilantro or parsley will work just fine.
what can I serve chicken stroganoff with?
This vegetable chicken stroganoff is like hearty chicken gravy. I love the added vegetables of carrots and red pepper. It makes for such a unique recipe. It can be served over your favorite side. Serve with:
- Egg noodles for a more classic look and taste.
- Pasta shells, our favorite and that’s what I used in this recipe.
- Mashed potatoes, they go so well together.
reheating the pasta-
I really like prepare everything for dinner before I pick up my kids from school. Then, I just reheat it when we are ready to have dinner and it’s such a time saver. I can spend time with our kiddos and give them the attention they need with homework and mom time.
When reheating the shells pasta, add butter and lightly season the pasta with Vegeta (If you’ve never tried Vegeta, you’re missing out. Order some today.) If you don’t have Vegeta, just lightly season with your favorite seasoning or salt and pepper the pasta. Heat the pasta until it’s crispy. The butter does wonders to the pasta.
Try these other recipes:
- Chicken gravy– Simple gravy recipe with chicken and mushrooms.
- Meaty gravy– Meaty gravy is filled with savory flavors that go perfectly with mashed potatoes.
Don’t forget to tag us on social media if you try one of our recipes. We love to see your creations:). #ValentinasCorner
Vegetable Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, thin strands
- 2 tsp Canola oil
- 1 large cooking onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1/2 red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 8 oz (1/2 box) medium shells pasta
- Cook pasta according to the package, drain. See note.
- Chop onion.
- In a Dutch oven (or large skillet), on med/high heat, heat the oil. Once hot, add the chopped onions. Sautee until tender, stirring as needed.
- Cut chicken into thin strands. Add to the onions, turn heat down to medium. Cook 5 minutes (until chicken is cooked).
- Add carrots, cook 2 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add peppers, cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add cubed tomatoes. Mix.
- Add flour and garlic, Mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add water. Bring to a soft boil. Cook 5 -8 minutes on medium heat, stirring as needed.
- Serve over pasta.