This simple avocado toast recipe is not only so easy to make but also healthy and absolutely delicious! In this post, we are going to share all our favorite topping ideas and tips for the BEST avocado toast.
Avocado toast is America’s favorite breakfast recipe and a great snack idea! Creamy avocado over toasted bread with your favorite toppings enjoyed with a cup of hot coffee. Yes, please. Try our Margherita Pizza Toast for a different style of toast.
AVOCADO TOAST VIDEO TUTORIAL-
I hope you loved this video. We’d love for you to Subscribe to our YouTube Channel and don’t forget to click the Bell icon to be notified of a new video recipe.
|Is avocado healthy for you? Loaded with potassium, fiber, and so many vitamins, avocado is incredibly nutritious.|
HOW TO MAKE A CLASSIC AVOCADO TOAST-
Though avocado toast is the simplest recipe (almost not even a dish), here are some basics to ensure you get the BEST results. With just a few basic ingredients, you have yourself an amazing breakfast.
PURCHASE GOOD QUALITY BREAD-
You want to make sure you purchase good bread for the ultimate toast. I always prefer whole bread where I can cut the slices thicker. A good crusty bread, Italian bread, or whole wheat grains, or sourdough bread works best. We also enjoy substituting for bagels if we are out of bread.
CHOOSE RIPE AVOCADO-
You want to be sure your avocados are ripe and ready to be enjoyed. The avocado should feel soft if gently squeezed. When the avocado is ripe the texture of the avocado is soft and so pleasant to taste.
PREPARE THE TOPPINGS-
If you are going to enjoy any toppings that need to be prepped in advance, do so first so then you can just assemble the toast.
You can serve the avocado sliced or mashed for toast. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit.
- Sliced– for slices of avocado, cut thin even slices then remove with a spoon.
- Mashed– for mashed avocado, just add the avocado to a medium bowl and mash with fork. You can mash the avocado leaving some chunks or continue mashing until creamy.
- Assemble avocado toast– toast your bread until crispy. Top with avocado and enjoy!
TIPS FOR THE BEST AVOCADO TOAST-
- Season– Avocado is rather bland if flavor by itself, you want to at least season with salt to bring out the flavors. If you don’t want to add salt, freshly squeezed lime juice or lemon juice will add flavor.
- Avocado browning– Avocado browns rather quickly and you don’t want to prepare the toast in advance.
- Freeze bread– If you will not need a whole loaf of bread for the toast, freeze a few slices and enjoy as needed.
- Refrigerate– If you purchase a bag of avocados, you can store a few in the refrigerator to slow down the ripening so you always have fresh avocado at home. Leave it out at room temp to ripen quicker.
- Brush toast– Brush the warm toast with garlic (or ginger) if you enjoy the taste of garlic.
- Creamy avocado- For a creamy spread, you can add room temp cream cheese or mayo when mashing the avocado in a small bowl. For a lighter version, use Greek Yogurt.
- Heat– For heat, add in some cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes or even hot sauce to the avocado.
AVOCADO TOAST TOPPING IDEAS-
Though the variations of avocado toast are endless, here are some ideas and inspiration for you to try:
- AVOCADO TOAST WITH TOMATO–
- Mozzarella, tomatoes, basil then drizzled with balsamic glaze – inspired by our popular Caprese Salad.
- MEXICAN INSPIRED–
- Make chunky guacamole dip and add to the toast.
- EVERYTHING BAGEL–
- Slice or mash the avocado and top with everything seasoning. We use this one and love it. If using the seasoning, don’t salt the avocado as it already has salt in it.
- AVOCADO TOAST WITH EGG–
- This is probably my favorite combination. The egg adds protein and so much flavor. Cook egg in a skillet to desired doneness and add to the avocado toast.
- LOADED TOAST–
- We like to add a boiled egg, with bacon and tomato if I want something hearty. Great way to use up boiled eggs.
- TOAST WITH SALMON–
- Add smoked salmon with red onion and cucumbers to the mashed or sliced avocado over toast.
- WITH MUSHROOMS–
- Saute the mushrooms and top the avocado toast. Add feta cheese for more flavor.
- SWEET KICK–
- If you have a sweet tooth, mango slices, or cubes drizzled with honey is a great addition to avocado toast.
- You can easily add chicken to the toast and a second slice of bread for a sandwich for lunch.
- PESTO SAUCE–
- If you have some homemade pesto, add the sauce for a topping.
- WITH SHRIMP–
- If you have leftover shrimp, like the cajun shrimp or sauteed shrimp, add it to your avocado toast.
- FRESH HERBS–
- Fresh herbs like dill, parsley or cilantro may be added to the mashed avocado and drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPE-
Breakfast is our favorite meal of the day and we share so many different recipes in our breakfast category. Here are some recipes sure to become a favorite:
- Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- Croissant Sandwich
- Sausage Eggs Breakfast Sliders
- Cinnamon French Toast Sticks
- Breakfast Tacos
Avocado Toast (Topping ideas and Tips)
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 ripe avocados
- everything bagel seasoning
- desired toppings
- Toast the bread slices until reached desired crispiness.
- Remove the pit from the avocado. Scoop out the avocado and add to a bowl. Mash the avocado until chunky or smooth.
- Add the avocado spread to the toasted bread and top with everything bagel seasoning and desired toppings.