This avocado toast recipe is not only so easy to make, it’s healthy and absolutely delicious! In this post, we are going to share all of our favorite topping ideas and tips for the BEST avocado toast.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Avocado toast is America’s favorite breakfast recipe! Creamy avocado over toasted bread with your favorite toppings with a cup of hot coffee. Yes, please.
Enjoy the toast with classic avocado slices topped with freshly squeezed lemon juice and pepper flakes or mash the avocado for a creamy mixture.
How to make a Classic Avocado Toast:
Though avocado toast is the simplest recipe (almost not even a recipe), here are some basics to ensure you get the BEST results.
Purchase good quality bread-
You want to make sure you purchase a good bread for the ultimate toast. I always prefer whole bread where I can cut the slices thicker. A good crusty bread, Italian bread, or whole wheat grains works best. We also enjoy substituting for bagels if we are out of bread.
Choose ripe avocado-
You want to be sure your avocados are ripe and ready to be enjoyed. It should feel soft if gently squeezed.
Prepare the toppings-
If you are going to enjoy any toppings that need to be prepped in advance, do so first so then you can just assemble the toast.
You can serve the avocado sliced or mashed for toast. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit.
- Sliced– for slices of avocado, cut thin even slices then remove with a spoon.
- Mashed– for mashed avocado, mash with a fork. You can mash the avocado leaving some chunks or continue mashing until creamy.
- Assemble avocado toast– toast your bread until crispy. Top with avocado and enjoy!
Tips for the BEST avocado toast-
- Avocado is rather bland if flavor by itself, you want to at least season with salt to bring out the flavors.
- Avocado browns rather quickly and you don’t want to prepare the toast in advance.
- If you will not need a whole loaf of bread for the toast, freeze slices and enjoy as needed.
- If you purchase a bag of avocados, you can store a few in the refrigerator to slow down the ripening so you always have fresh avocado at home. Leave it out at room temp to ripen quicker.
- Brush the warm toast with garlic if you enjoy the taste of garlic.
Avocado toast topping ideas-
Though the variations of avocado toast are endless, here are some ideas and inspiration for you to try:
1. Avocado toast with tomato-
Cheese, tomatoes, basil then drizzled with balsamic glaze – inspired by our popular Caprese Salad.
2. Mexican inspired-
Make chunky guacamole and add to the toast.
3. Everything bagel-
Slice or mash the avocado and top with everything seasoning. We use this one and love it. If using the seasoning, don’t salt the avocado as it already has salt in it.
4. Avocado toast with egg-
This is probably my favorite combination. The egg adds protein and so much flavor. Cook egg to desired doneness and add to the avocado toast.
5. Loaded avocado toast-
We like to add a boiled egg, with bacon and tomato if I want something hearty. Great way to use up boiled eggs.
6. Avocado toast with salmon-
Add smoked salmon with red onion slices to the mashed or sliced avocado over toast.
7. With mushrooms-
Saute the mushrooms and top the avocado toast. Add feta cheese for more flavor.
8. Sweet kick-
If you have a sweet tooth, mango slices, or cubes and drizzled with honey is a great addition to the avocado toast.
I hope you are inspired by these ideas and toppings to expand your taste pallets and try something new.
What is your favorite avocado toast topping? I’d LOVE to hear about it in the comments and try something new myself.
Other unique recipe featuring avocados-
- Bacon tomato canapes– with a creamy avocado spread.
- Baked salmon– with avocado salsa.
- Tuna sandwich– with avocado slices.
- Chicken Avocado Panini– the best sandwich.
- Breakfast sandwich– with avocado slices and glaze.
Avocado Toast (Topping ideas and Tips)
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 ripe avocados
- everything bagel seasoning
- desired toppings
- Toast the bread slices until reached desired crispiness.
- Remove the pit from the avocado. Scoop out the avocado and add to a bowl. Mash the avocado until chunky or smooth.
- Add the avocado spread to the toasted bread and top with everything bagel seasoning and desired toppings.