Homemade Beef Fajitas recipe – a restaurant style meal that can easily be made at home! Juicy marinated beef with sautéed peppers and onions then served with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings!
Fajitas are a classic Mexican dish that has become a go-to in our home! We love how versatile fajitas are from the choice of meat to the choice of toppings and condiments, you can totally make them to your liking!
We serve the fajitas charcuterie style by placing all of the topping in individual bowls and allowing everyone to add on whatever they like to their fajita!
WHAT TYPE OF BEEF DO I USE?
The most important ingredient in this recipe is the meat. The type of beef you get will either make or break your fajita experience! The BEST steak to use is either skirt steak or flank steak, but you can also use sirloin steak or New York strip steak.
STEAK FAJITA MARINADE-
The marinade for this recipe brings the steak to a whole new level and tenderizes the beef! All you need is oil, homemade cajun seasoning and minced garlic. Just mix all the ingredients and add the steak to it, then allow the steak to marinate.
How long can my steak marinate for?
The steak should marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can marinate it overnight in the fridge. Just make sure your steak is room temp when ready to cook.
HOW TO COOK STEAK FOR beef FAJITAS-
There are several different methods for cooking the steak for fajitas! You can either grill, cook on stove top or bake the steak, all three ways will give you great results! For this recipe we use the stove top method.
- STOVE TOP METHOD: Oil a cast iron skillet and heat over high heat. Once the skillet is hot add the steak and cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until the steak has reached desired doneness.
- GRILLING METHOD: Preheat the grill to medium high heat. Once hot, add the steak and grill 14-16 minutes or until meat has reached desired doneness, flipping meat halfway through cooking.
- OVEN METHOD: Preheat oven at 425F. Add the steak to a baking sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes or steak has reached desired doneness.
|CHEF’S TIP: Once the steak is cooked,|
allow the meat to rest 5 minutes before cutting into it.
What temperature should my steak reach?
The cook time and temperature for the steak will depend on the doneness you want for your meat.
Using a cooking thermometer you want to measure the inside and thickest part of the steak for accurate doneness.
- MEDIUM RARE: about 130-135F
- MEDIUM: about 135-145F
- WELL: about 145-155F
- WELL DONE: about 155-165F
HOW TO MAKE STEAK FAJITAS-
- TOPPINGS: Prep and cut up all of the toppings and condiments for the fajitas.
- CUT VEGGIES: Slice the peppers and onions into even strands.
- MARINADE: Prepare the marinade by combining the ingredient in a bowl or plastic bag.
- Add the steak to the marinade. (Tip: Toss the vegetables in the leftover marinade while cooking the steak.)
- STEAK: Cook the steak in the skillet. Remove from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
- VEGETABLES: In the same skillet, sauté the vegetables until tender. Slice beef and return to skillet to reheat.
- ASSEMBLE: Warm the tortillas and load with steak, veggies and desired toppings.
These juicy steak fajitas are so versatile and can be served in so many different ways!
- CLASSIC– Go the classic route and serve in tortillas with desired toppings.
- FAJITA BOWLS– You can make bowls like our classic taco bowls and serve with our cilantro lime rice and add your favorite topping.
WHAT KIND OF TOPPING DO I ADD TO A FAJITA?
- Sour Cream
- Shredded cheese or Feta cheese
- Homemade guacamole
- Hot sauce or sriracha
- Taco sauce
- Pico de gallo
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Yes! You can use chicken or shrimp for fajitas!
Reheat the meat and veggies in a skillet with some oil if it seems dry.
You can store the meat and veggies for fajitas in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
You can use peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, or even carrots!
The best tortillas for this recipe are flour tortillas but can also use corn tortillas, or any other tortilla you like.
OTHER MEXICAN INSPIRED DISHES-
Beef Fajitas Recipe (Steak Fajitas)
- 1 lb steak flank steak or strip steak
- 2 large bell peppers any color, slice
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 2/3 cup oil
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tbsp cajun seasoning
- In a bowl or plastic bag, combine the ingredients for the fajita marinade. Add the steak to the marinade and allow the steak to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Clean and slice the bell peppers and red onion. Remove the steak from the marinade and add the vegetable to the marinade and toss.
- In a cast iron or skillet, at 1 Tbsp oil and heat on high heat. Once the skillet is hot add the steak and cook on high for 3 minutes per side or until desired doneness.
- Remove the steak from the skillet and allow it to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting.
- In the same skillet saute the vegetable with 2 Tbsp oil on medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Slice the steak and return to the skillet, mix into the vegetables and reheat.
- Serve in warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.