An EASY recipe for crunchy and cheesy Chicken Taquitos! Shredded chicken in a cheesy mixture wrapped in a corn tortilla and fried, then topped with your favorite condiments and toppings.
The Mexican food dish may be enjoyed as a appetizer with our .
A taquito is a classic Mexican dish consisting of a small corn tortilla filled with a cheesy meat filling that is then cooked (fried, baked or in an air fryer).
This easy chicken taquitos recipe is loaded with chicken, tomatoes, cheese and wrapped in a corn tortilla and fried – the BEST taquito recipe!
HOW TO MAKE TAQUITOS-
- In a bowl, add the cooked shredded meat, cream cheese, cheese, sour cream, and seasoning and mix until well combined.
- Add the mixture to the center of the corn tortillas and roll up tightly and place the edge at the bottom so it doesn’t unroll. (TIP: To keep the tortillas from unrolling you may use a toothpick to seal them closed, just don’t forget to remove the toothpicks before serving.)
- Repeat with the remaining taquitos.
- Cook the taquitos and serve over desired toppings!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Taquitos are typically made with corn tortillas but you can also use flour tortillas. The corn tortillas have a distinct taste so if you don’t like them, use the flour tortillas. You also want to use the small tortillas (6” inches) for this recipe.
For the BEST taquitos use either chicken or beef! If you are using beef, you want to use cooked shredded beef and shredded cheese as the mixture.
You can use shredded Colby jack, mozzarella, pepper jack cheese or any other shredded cheese.
These chicken taquitos are GREAT with some heat! You can add canned jalapenos, mild sauce, or green chilies to the chicken mixture.
DIFFERENT WAYS to COOK CHICKEN TAQUITOS-
The BEST thing about this homemade taquitos recipe is that there are several methods to cook the taquitos! Though fried is my personal favorite, the baked and air fryer are much healthier.
- FRY: Add about 1 inch of oil into a deep skillet or pot and heat until hot. Add taquitos into hot oil and fry for about 4-6 minutes until golden.
- BAKE: Add the taquitos to a lined baking sheet and brush with oil. Bake at 400°F for about 16-19 minutes, or until crispy.
- AIR FRYER: Place the taquitos into the air fryer basket. Spray with cooking spray and air fry at 400°F for about 8 minutes or until crispy and golden.
ways to SERVE-
These EASY crispy homemade chicken taquitos are great alone but are even better with the right toppings!
Here are some of our favorite toppings:
CAN I MAKE TAQUITOS AHEAD OF TIME-
The taquitos are great to make ahead of time! You can prepare the filling or even all the taquitos ahead of time and store them in the fridge until ready to cook. Just keep them stored in an airtight container so they don’t become dry.
CAN I FREEZE CHICKEN TAQUITOS?
Yes! You can freeze these crispy chicken taquitos! Make the chicken taquitos and then freeze in a freezer bag and store for up to 2-3 months.
When ready to enjoy, just remove from the freezer and reheat in a toaster oven, air fryer, or microwave until reheated.
OTHER FAVORITE MEXICAN DISHES:
- Shrimp Tacos– with the best sauce
- Taco Salad– all the taco helpings as a salad
- Chipotle Bowl– just like the restaurant’s
- Classic Tacos– with homemade seasoning
- Chili– hearty and delicious
Chicken Taquitos Recipe
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- canola or light olive oil, for frying
- Add the taquitos into the air fryer rack and spray them with cooking spray and fry at 400°F for about 7-9 minutes or until taquitos reach desired crispiness. Repeat in batches with the rest of the taquitos.