Learn how to make the BEST Chicken Fajita Recipe! Juicy marinated chicken sauteed with sliced peppers and onions. This Mexican-inspired dish is going to become a family favorite dinner.
We love Mexican-Inspired Recipes! From our Shrimp Ceviche to the popular Fish Tacos and the classic Chicken Taquitos!
BEST CHICKEN FAJITa recipe-
You can never go wrong with fajitas for lunch or dinner! The chicken is marinated in a fajita marinade and then sauteed until tender and juicy paired with sauteed veggies, so good! Whether serving it in warm tortillas or in fajita bowls, everyone is going to love this recipe.
We love to enjoy these fajitas charcuterie board style by placing all the toppings in individual bowls and allowing everyone to make their own fajita!
With just a few simple ingredients, you can have these juicy chicken fajitas ready in no time!
- Chicken– You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts, thighs, or chicken tenders for this fajita recipe! You can also substitute chicken for steak or shrimp, or add shrimp and steak to the chicken.
- Veggies– For the veggies, you can use any color of bell pepper, red or sweet onion, and mushrooms. You can add kinds of veggies or substitute the veggies that you don’t like.
- Fajita Marinade– The marinade for the chicken is a simple yet delicious marinade! We combine oil and our homemade cajun seasoning.
Chef’s Tip: You can also substitute the cajun seasoning for homemade taco seasoning. If you don’t want to use homemade seasoning you can use store-bought seasoning.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN FAJITAS-
This Mexican fajita recipe is so easy to make and is packed with so much flavor.
- Prep– Prepare all the toppings and condiments for the fajitas. Slice the peppers and onions into even strands.
- Marinade the chicken– Combine the oil and seasoning. Add the chicken breast into a bowl or plastic bag and toss in the marinade mixture and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes. (Tip: Toss the vegetables in the leftover marinade while cooking the chicken.)
- Cook the chicken– Cook the chicken using the desired cooking method.
- Saute veggies– Remove chicken and add in the sliced veggies and saute until tender and cooked through.
- Assemble– Warm the tortillas and load with chicken and veggies and desired toppings.
- Serve and Enjoy!
How long can I marinate the chicken? The chicken should marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can marinate it overnight in the fridge.
CHICKEN FAJITA COOKING METHODS-
There are several different methods that you can use to cook the fajitas! Here are some of our favorite methods:
- Stove-Top: Add oil to a skillet or cast iron and heat, once hot sear the chicken on both sides and reduce to medium/low heat and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Oven: Use the Pan Sheet Chicken Fajitas to cook in the oven.
- Slow Cooker: To make fajitas in the slow cooker, use our Crockpot Chicken Fajitas recipe.
- Grilling Method– Once you are ready to grill the chicken, remove it from the fridge and let it sit at room temp for about 15 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the grill to 400°F and clean and prep the grill. Add the chicken to the grill and cook for about 6-8 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through.
There are several different ways to enjoy this recipe! Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy this recipe:
- Classic Fajitas– Go the classic route and serve in tortillas with desired toppings.
- Fajita Bowls– You can make bowls like our Classic Taco Bowls and serve them with our Cilantro Lime Rice and add your favorite topping.
Toppings are unlimited and can be added to taste. Here are some of our favorite add-ons:
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Feta Cheese
- Hot Sauce
- Taco Sauce
- Pico de Gallo
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Reheat the chicken fajitas on the stovetop, air fryer, or oven.
Yes! You can use your favorite fajita seasoning from the store instead of our homemade seasoning.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
The best tortillas for this recipe are flour tortillas but you can also use corn tortillas or any other tortilla you like.
We do not recommend freezing this dish.
More Mexican-Inspired Dishes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Rotel Dip Recipe
- Cheese Quesadillas
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Cajun Shrimp Recipe
Chicken Fajita Recipe (with Marinade)
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless & skinless
- 3 tsp oil, divided
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- fresh lime juice
chicken fajita marinade-
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp cajun seasoning
- Combine the oil and cajun seasoning in a small bowl.
- Coat the chicken breast in the marinade and add to a bowl and allow to marinate for about 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet or cast iron, heat 2 tsps oil on high heat. Once hot, pan sear the marinated chicken on each side for 2 minutes on high heat. Reduce the heat to medium/low heat and cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, add the sliced peppers and onions with 1 tsp of oil, saute over medium heat until the veggies are tender and cooked.
- Add in the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Slice the chicken breast into thin strands and add back into the skillet with the veggies.
- Top with freshly squeezed lime juice and serve with tortillas and desired toppings.