Mexican restaurant inspired Shrimp Fajitas Recipe! Seasoned shrimp with peppers and onion, made completely in a skillet, ready in just 15 minutes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Shrimp Fajitas Recipe-
I love how simple and easy this Shrimp Fajita Recipe is! You can totally have this recipe ready in just 15 minutes. Juicy shrimp as protein in the most delicious homemade seasoning combined with peppers and onion. Once you give this recipe a try, you’ll no longer want to order the fajitas at a restaurant.
These fajitas are great for meal planning and if you pack lunch.
|With the shrimp as protein and vegetables, the calorie count on this recipe is minimal – WINNER!|
How to make Shrimp Fajitas-
- Prepare shrimp- Devein and remove the tail from the shrimp. (We didn’t because it looks prettier in the pic, ha). Generously season the shrimp with the homemade seasoning and set aside.
- Cut vegetables- Slice peppers and onion into thin strands and mince the garlic. Tip: If you have mushrooms, they taste wonderful in fajitas.
- Saute vegetables- Add oil to a large skillet and once hot, add the vegetables. Cook until desired tenderness, remove from skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Cook shrimp- In the same skillet, add oil and cook shrimp until pink, flipping once. Add the butter and garlic to the skillet along with the sauteed vegetable. Stir and cook until vegetables are reheated and garlic is fragrant.
How to serve shrimp fajitas?
The EASY seafood fajitas are so versatile and can be served in so many different ways! Here are some options-
- SHRIMP FAJITAS BOWLS- You can use our concept of the Taco Bowl (with rice) or the healthier option of Chicken Bowl (with quinoa) and add your favorite toppings to the fajita bowl.
- TORTILLAS- Add the shrimp and veggies to tortillas, add your favorite additional toppings and serve as tacos.
- RICE- Serve the fajitas with rice and your favorite toppings. (P.S. Our baked rice is amazing with this recipe.)
- TOPPINGS- Though you can add whatever you want over top of the fajitas or just leave it as is, here are some of our favorite toppings.
- Sliced avocado or homemade Guacamole.
- Diced Tomatoes
- Lettuce or romaine
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce, Sriracha or chopped jalapenos, if you like heat
- Feta cheese
- We love drizzling the Cilantro Lime Sauce over everything. It’s REALLY GOOD!
FAQ’S and TIPS for Shrimp Fajitas-
Shrimp fajita seasoning- We make our own seasoning and LOVE it (full recipe HERE). For the seasoning, we combine chili powder, paprika, garlic, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes. TIP: I always have homemade Mexican seasoning on hand and store it in THESE tins – it lasts for months.
How to reheat shrimp fajitas- Reheat in a skillet over low heat until heated, add some oil if the skillet is too dry.
Can I substitute for store-bought seasoning? YES! You can use your favorite seasoning instead with great results.
What kind of shrimp is best? We like large (jumbo) shrimp in fajitas. They are so flavorful and you can really taste the shrimp. However, any shrimp you have on hand will work. The cook time will vary depending on the size of the shrimp you use.
Can I marinate the shrimp in advance? You definitely may. Drizzle shrimp with olive oil and season. Refrigerate until ready to use.
These Shrimp Fajitas are great for Taco Tuesday or for a lazy dinner that requires very minimal work and still looks impressive! Because, you know, food shouldn’t be boring or unappealing.
I hope you LOVE this easy Mexican dinner recipe as much as we do.
You’ll love these other Mexican dishes-
- Fish tacos– with an amazing sauce.
- Taco Meat– so versatile.
- Shrimp tacos– with the best slaw.
- Taco Bowl– perfect for Taco Tuesday.
cilantro lime sauce-
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Slice the peppers and onions into thin strands.
- In a skillet, heat oil and cook vegetables until fully cooked. Remove from skillet.
- Completely pat dry the shrimp and devein the shrimp and remove the tail, optional.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the cilantro lime sauce.
- Season the shrimp with taco seasoning.
- In a skillet, heat oil and butter until hot. Once hot add the shrimp and cook 2 minutes per side, or until pink and opaque.
- Warm the tortillas.
- Add the shrimp and veggies to the tortillas and top with cilantro lime sauce.