This easy Chicken Taco Soup is a quick recipe with all the flavors of tacos! Tender chicken with tomatoes, beans, and corn in a seasoned creamy broth. This soup is true comfort food ready in 30 minutes.
This recipe is a spin on our classic ground beef Taco Soup recipe!
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe-
If you love all the flavors of Mexican dishes but also enjoy soup, this is the perfect combination! The tender chicken combined with chunks of Rotel tomatoes, beans, cream cheese creamy broth, and taco seasoning is that perfect soup recipe.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe:
- Ready in under 30 minutes!
- So much flavor, perfect for Taco Tuesday.
- A one-pot meal.
- Uses simple ingredients.
- Onion- we use sweet onion for this recipe, but yellow will also work.
- Pepper- we used a red bell pepper but yellow or orange will also be fine.
- Garlic- fresh garlic adds so much flavor to the soup.
- Taco seasoning- store-bought taco seasoning may be used or our Homemade Taco Seasoning spice (our spice is made with chili powder, paprika, onion and garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes).
- Seasoning- add salt and pepper to taste.
- Broth- the chicken broth is great but vegetable broth will also be just fine.
- Tomatoes- a combination of diced tomatoes and Rotel tomatoes is what we enjoyed but one or the other will work.
- Chicken- chicken breast or chicken thighs may be used.
- Cream cheese- any brand of cream cheese will work.
- Beans- chili beans or black beans.
- Corn- canned corn drained or fresh corn will work.
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup-
The instructions for the stove-top taco chicken soup are so simple! Here’s a detailed tutorial.
- Add the onion, pepper, and oil to a pot or Dutch oven and cook over medium heat until tender, 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, stir, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the broth, and add the chicken, seasoning, salt and pepper, Rotel tomatoes, and roasted tomatoes.
- Bring to a soft boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the soup, shred chicken with 2 forks return to pot with cream cheese, and cook until cream cheese melts into the broth.
- Add corn and beans and bring to a soft boil, cook until the cream cheese melts, stirring frequently.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
The taco soup with chicken is so hearty as is and you ready don’t need to add anything else to it. However, here are some great toppings you can enjoy:
- Tortilla strips, tortilla chips, or corn chips
- Cubed fresh avocado
- Sriracha or hot sauce for heat
- Canned or fresh sliced jalapenos
- Fresh lime or lemon juice adds acidity
- Shredded cheese like cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese
- Freshly chopped cilantro or green onion
Frequently Asked Questions-
We love the creaminess the cream cheese gives but you can substitute for 1 cup of heavy whipping cream or sour cream with great results.
- This soup may easily be made in a slow cooker! Add all of the ingredients into a crockpot (minus the cream cheese) and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Shred chicken with two forks and return to the crockpot with the cubed cream cheese. Cook on high for 30 minutes, or until the cream cheese melts.
Instant Pot Method-
- Turn the instant pot to saute and cook the onion in olive oil until tender, 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients (minus the cream cheese).
- Turn the instant pot to manual high pressure and cook for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove the chicken and shred it with two forks, and cubed the cream cheese. Stir, close the lid, and allow the cream cheese to completely melt.
- Fridge: Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: This soup freezes well, cool soup and add to a freezer-safe container and freeze up to three months. Thaw soup overnight in the fridge and reheat.
More Soup Recipes:
Soups have to be our favorite kind of meal to enjoy. Here are some of our favorite soup recipes to try:
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, add onion, pepper and olive oil, cook until tender, 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir, and cook 30 seconds.
- Add broth, chicken, seasoning, salt and pepper, rotel tomatoes, and diced tomatoes.
- Bring to a soft boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks return to pot with cubed cream cheese, corn and beans, cook until cream cheese dissolves into broth, stirring frequently.
- Add favorite toppings and enjoy.