This Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe is comfort food at its finest. This classic crockpot dish is made with beef, potatoes, and carrots cooked until the meat is pull-apart tender.
We love cooking with our crockpot and this recipe with our Chicken Fajitas and the Alfredo Pasta are favorites.
What is a Pot Roast-
A pot roast is a chunk of meat that is seared and then slow-cooked in a crock pot until the meat is fall-apart tender. Oftentimes, the pot roast is cooked with vegetables and/or potatoes.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe-
I love the concept of the slow cooker. Add everything into the crockpot and allow it to do the rest of the work, so easy! The chunk of beef is cooked slowly and becomes so soft and juicy. Since the potatoes and veggies are added to the dish, you have yourself a complete meal.
- Chuck roast- we use a chuck roast and prefer one that’s thinner.
- Oil- olive oil to sear the meat.
- Seasoning- salt and pepper is all you need.
- Carrots- regular carrots sliced or baby carrots may be used.
- Mushrooms- white mushrooms or baby portabella mushrooms will work fine.
- Potatoes- any small whole potatoes like Yukon gold or red potatoes.
- Celery- celery ribs that will be discarded once cooked.
- Broth- for the liquid we used beef broth.
- Broth seasoning- Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
How to Make a Slow Cooker Pot Roast-
- Season roast: In a small bowl, whisk together the salt, pepper, and garlic. Season both sides of the roast with the seasoning.
- Sear beef: Add the oil to a large skillet. Once hot, add the roast and sear 2-3 per side.
- Make the broth: In a bowl, whisk together the salt, pepper, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- Cook: Into the crockpot, add the roast, seasoned broth, and celery, and pour in the seasoned broth. Close 2-3 hours on high and 4-5 hours on low. Discard onion halves and celery ribs.
- Add potatoes: Add the cleaned potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook another 2-3 hours on high and
- Serve: Break apart the roast with two forks. Transfer everything to a serving platter and enjoy immediately.
Cook time for a Pot Roast-
There will be a few things that will slightly affect the cooking time of the pot roast in your crockpot. The side of your roast and how thick it is and what kind of slow cooker you have, all are slightly different. Here’s a general total cook time:
- Cook on low: 4-5 hours.
- Cook on high: 7-8 hours.
- When to Add Vegetables
- We like to add the vegetable mid-way through cooking, this will ensure the vegetables aren’t mushy once cooked.
frequently asked questions-
Be sure to choose a cut that is tough and has marbling, it will tenderize during the slow cooking process. Chuck roast, chuck steak, or a pot roast are all great choices. However, any chunks of meat will do in this recipe.
Your favorite small potatoes will work. Baby potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, or even small red potatoes will all work for this recipe.
Though the classic slow cooker pot roast is with potatoes and carrots, don’t limit yourself to those two.
We also like to add whole mushrooms and green beans to the pot roast. If you like a bit of a kick to your food, add a few pepperoncini to the roast when adding the vegetables.
INSTANT POT OPTION
This recipe may easily be made in an instant pot, the only difference will be in the cooking time.
- Follow instructions, and cook beef for 60 minutes on high. Release pressure.
- Add potatoes and vegetables, select manual to 10 minutes then quickly release the pressure.
- Serve and enjoy.
Storing & Reheating
- Fridge: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Completely cook leftovers and store them in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat to serve.
- Reheat: Reheat the pot roast over low in the crockpot or on a skillet until reheated.
More Crockpot Recipes:
Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
vegetable & potatoes-
- 4 carrots, cut into strands
- 10 oz mushrooms, whole
- 2 lbs mini potatoes, whole
- 4 celery sticks, cut into 3 parts
broth & seasonings-
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 oz beef broth
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Season the meat with the salt, pepper, and the garlic powder on both sidea.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Once hot, place the meat into the skillet and sear 2-3 minutes per side, until crispy and browned.
- Place meat into a slow cooker and add the celery.
- In a bowl, whisk together everything for the broth and seasoning. Pour into the crockpot.
- Cook the meat 2-3 hours on high, or 4 hours on low. Discard the celery sticks.
- Add the potatoes, mushrooms and carrots, cover with the liquid.
- Cook another 2-3 hours on high, or 3-4 hours on low until meat is tender and vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove beef chuck from slow cooker. Pull the meat apart with two forks. Place meat onto a serving platter, add the potatoes, carrots and mushrooms onto the platter. Pour some liquid over everything. Serve and enjoy.