Looking for a comforting crockpot dinner? This is it! These Crockpot Beef Tips are mouth-tender and flavorful and are the ultimate comfort dinner. Add your ingredients to your crockpot and come back hours later for a meal that basically cooked itself!
Crockpot Beef Tips-
Slow cooker beef tips are one of the easiest yet most filling meals to add to your rotation. The beef chunks are cooked at low heat until tender with a hearty gravy sauce. This recipe is perfect for busy days when you have little time to spend in the kitchen. The crock pot beef tips require little prep time. Just throw everything into the pot and the beef will come out juicy and tender, just in time for a savory dinner!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe:
- The meal is completely made in the crockpot with minimal cleanup.
- Great for parties, be sure to use a bigger crock pot if you’ll be scaling up the recipe.
- An amazing option for meal planning, the beef tips can stay refrigerated for up to 4-5 days.
- These tender beef tips are a great protein option that can be served over a variety of different sides, based on your preference.
The ingredients for this Beef Tips Crockpot Recipe are simple:
- Beef- we use beef tenderloin cut into 1”-2” cubes. Or, use pre-cut stew meat.
- Beef broth- use low-sodium beef broth to control the level of salt in the final dish.
- Seasonings- salt, freshly-cracked pepper, and bay leaves to flavor the beef tips.
- Flour- all-purpose flour acts as a thickening agent for the gravy.
- Worcestershire sauce- this Sauce adds a deep savory punch to flavor the gravy.
- Garlic- fresh garlic enhances the flavor of the meat and the gravy.
- Butter- use unsalted butter to control the saltiness of the beef tips and gravy.
How to Make Crockpot Beef Tips:
In just a few easy steps, you’ll be on your way to a delicious dinner!
- Cut beef: Start by cutting your beef into 1”-2” pieces. Place beef tips in the crockpot and cover with broth.
Freezing your beef for 20-30 minutes will make it easier to cut.
- Add seasonings: Add salt and pepper, garlic, butter, Worcestershire Sauce, and bay leaves to the beef.
- Cook: Cook the beef tips on low for 6-8 hours, or until the meat is tender. Optionally, cook on high for 4-6 hours. However, we find the beef is more tender when cooked at a lower temperature for longer.
- Make gravy: Once cooked, remove two cups of broth and mix with flour to make a slurry. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and stir everything together.
- Serve and enjoy, friends!
Substitutions and Variations-
- Add mushrooms: You can add a cup of sliced mushrooms to the slow cooker during the last 2 hours of cooking time.
- Add veggies: Though traditionally made without vegetables, you can add onions, potatoes, and carrots to the crockpot halfway through the cooking time.
These beef tips in the slow cooker can be served over your favorite side. Here are some ideas!
- Serve over tender egg noodles for a delicate dinner.
- Top Mashed Potatoes or white Rice with these slow cooker beef tips.
- Serve some Dinner Rolls or make Homemade Biscuits to scoop or Gravy with.
- Add vegetables on the side such as these Honey Glazed Carrots or some Roasted Broccoli.
frequently asked questions-
Beef tips are sold in most grocery stores. Tips are typically cubed pieces of beef sirloin or tenderloin. You can buy a chunk of meat and cut it into tips yourself or buy precut beef tips. Stew beef will work if you can’t find beef tips, but the end result may be slightly less tender.
You don’t have to sear the beef tips before adding them to the crockpot. However, if you would like a deeper beef flavor, you can sear the tips over medium-high heat for 3-4 min, per side.
If you have smaller chunks of meat, they will cook faster. Cook beef until it is fork tender, checking at 6 hours if cooking on low or at 4 hours if cooking on high. However, the beef will still taste great if you leave it for too long!
We use flour, but you can also mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of water to make a cornstarch slurry. Mix this in with the broth instead of the flour to thicken the gravy.
Store & Freeze:
- STORE: Store refrigerated in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
- FREEZE: You can freeze this recipe either before or after cooking.
- Uncooked: Place the uncooked ingredients into a freezer-safe bag. When ready to cook, remove from the bag and place the contents inside the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours over low heat.
- Cooked: Add room-temperature beef tips to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw and reheat on the stovetop over low heat just until reheated.
- REHEAT: The best way to reheat the crockpot beef tips and noodles is in a skillet or small pot on the stove. Reheat noodles and beef separately. You can also reheat it in the slow cooker but it will take longer.
More Crockpot Recipes:
Tender Crockpot Tips Recipe
- Cut beef into cubes, add to slow cooker and pour in the broth.
- Add the salt and pepper, garlic, butter, worcestershire sauce and bay leaves.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours until meat is tender.
- (Or high for 4-6 hours, but I find the beef is more tender when cooked on low.)
- Once beef is tender, stir everything together in the crockpot.
- Remove 2 cups of the broth and mix with the flour to make a slurry.
- Pour into the beef and stir to combine. Cook another 20-30 minutes, until the gravy is thickened.
- Serve and Enjoy.