You are going to love this hearty and flavorful Braised Cabbage recipe, it’s a meal in itself! Chicken with vegetables and cabbage braised on the stovetop until tender and cooked.
BRAISED CABBAGE RECIPE-
This flavorful braised cabbage makes for the ultimate comfort food. The chicken, cabbage, and veggies are sauteed and seared and then slowly cooked on the stovetop until the cabbage is tender and melts in your mouth delicious!
|WHAT IS BRAISING? Braising just means a cooking method that slowly cooks the vegetable or meats with some liquid. Cover the Dutch oven or pot and simmer until meat/vegetables are tenderized.|
This recipe is loaded with veggies and is such a healthy, light yet filling dish. Here are all the ingredients needed for this recipe-
- Chicken- For this recipe, we love to use boneless skinless chicken thighs because of how tender and juicy they get. You can also use boneless skinless chicken breast.
- Onion- Finely chopped cooking onion brings so many flavors to this dish!
- Carrots- You can use either chopped or shredded fresh carrots.
- Mushrooms- We love adding mushrooms for extra flavors. Any of your favorite mushrooms will work: white, portobello, shiitake, or even canned mushrooms can be used. (butter)
- Garlic- For the ultimate flavors use freshly minced garlic cloves.
- Green Cabbage- You want to be sure to use fresh white cabbage for this dish. We like to shred the cabbage using THIS mandoline slicer.
- Tomatoes- We use freshly diced tomatoes for this dish, but you can also use canned diced tomatoes.
- Sauerkraut- You can use canned shredded sauerkraut or homemade sauerkraut. This adds so many flavors and gives it a sour taste!
- Chicken Broth- Chicken broth, beef broth, or vegetable broth can be used!
- Ketchup- Adding ketchup to this dish gives you extra flavors and elevates the dish.
- Sour Cream- As this cabbage recipe is being braised we love to add sour cream to make it creamy.
- Seasoning- To season this dish, we use salt, pepper, and paprika. You can also add any of your favorite seasonings, we like to add Vegeta to this dish!
HOW TO MAKE BRAISED CABBAGE-
You have to give this EASY braised cabbage a try, especially if you like cabbage!
- Cook chicken- Cube the chicken into bite-sized pieces or small slices. In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. Once cooked, remove from the Dutch oven.
- Saute veggies- Add sliced mushrooms into the pot and sauté until golden and remove. Saute the chopped onions and carrots until the veggies are tender. Then add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Combine- Add the chicken and mushrooms back into the pot and mix to combine. Add the cabbage, tomatoes, and sauerkraut to the pot.
- Make the sauce- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, sour cream, broth, and seasoning. Pour the sauce into the Dutch oven and stir everything to combine.
- Cook- Let the cabbage braise on medium heat for about 35-40 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Chef’s Tip: When preparing the cabbage, remove the outer leaves and discard the core.
Can I prepare this ahead of time? Yes, you may definitely prep the braised cabbage ahead of time, up to 2 days in advance!
1. Saute the vegetables and cook the chicken, cut the cabbage and store everything in an airtight container in the fridge (don’t mix).
2. Make the sauce and keep it in a separate container.
3. When ready to cook, add everything to the pot or Dutch oven combine and cook.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
We don’t recommend using red cabbage in this recipe.
Yes! You can substitute the chicken with beef or pork or make it a vegetarian dish and leave the meat out completely.
Though we love the sauerkraut in the braised cabbage, you can definitely just leave it out.
Yes! Once you saute the veggies and cook the chicken, combine all of the ingredients and transfer to a casserole dish and bake at 375°F for 45-60 minutes.
Once the braised cabbage is cooled, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
We do not recommend freezing this dish as the veggies get soggy.
This braised cabbage is delicious by itself but even better with a side dish! Here are some of our favorite ways to serve with:
More Hearty Recipes-
If you are looking for more recipes that are hearty and so filling, try these favorites:
Braised Cabbage Recipe
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot cubed
- 6 oz mushrooms quartered
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 head green cabbage cubed
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- In a Dutch oven, saute the chicken with 1 Tbsp oil, lightly season with salt and pepper. Once cooked, remove from the Dutch oven.
- Saute the mushrooms until browned and remove.
- Add 2 Tbsp oil, onions, carrots, garlic and cook until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken and mushrooms back to the Dutch oven.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, and sauerkraut and mix.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, ketchup, sour cream, and seasoning and whisk to combine,.
- Pour the liquid sauce into the Dutch oven and stir.
- Cook over medium/low heat for about 35-45 minutes, mixing occasionally (cook until cabbage is desired tenderness).
- Top with fresh chopped greens and serve.