Delicate and easy Homemade Cream Puffs with a Dulce de Leche filling! The light and airy puffs are amazing and when filled with the rich cream, over the top addictive! These mini desserts are great to serve for the Holidays and parties.
If you enjoy cream puffs, our Pumpkin Spice filled puffs are a must-try!
homemade cream puff-
These homemade cream puffs are such a treat! The batter is so easy to make and once baked, the lightness of the choux pastry and the rich cream and absolutely irresistible!
Since the puffs themselves are not overly sweet, the filling makes up for it. Dulche de leche buttercream is the perfect finish to the basic choux pastry recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
how to make classic cream puffs-
- In a saucepan, bring water and cubed butter to a soft boil, turn off the heat.
- Combine the sugar, salt, and flour; add to the water/butter and stir vigorously until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Allow to slightly cool, but still be warm. Beat in one egg at a time, beating after each egg until well incorporated.
TIP: If the mixture is still hot, the mixture will become too runny and will not pipe.
pipe and bake-
how to make dulce de leche buttercream-
In a bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add the dulce de leche and beat just until combined. Refrigerate cream until ready to use.
fill cream puffs-
You can either fill the puffs by piping the cream into the bottom of the puffs or slice the choux pastries in half and add the filling that way.
NOTE: I added A LOT of cream to the puffs(mainly for photography purposes), you don’t need to fill them so much.
If you enjoy dulce de leche, you are going to love this dessert. The airy texture of the cream puffs with the rich buttercream is a wonderful combination!
try these other desserts:
- Chocolate Meringue Cookies– like a choc chip cookie but better.
- Mini Donut Recipe– with Nutella.
- Poppy Seed Bars– soft sweet dessert bars.
- Lemon Blueberry Scones– classic recipe.
Homemade Cream Puffs Recipe
Dulce de Leche filling-
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp (2 sticks)
- 14 oz dulce de leche (cooked condensed milk)
- In a medium saucepan, over med/high heat, add water and butter and cook until mixture comes to a soft boil. Turn off heat.
- Add the combined sugar, salt, and flour at once and stir quickly until everything is incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl and start allow the mixture to slightly cool. You don't want it hot!Beat in one egg at a time, beating after each addition.
- Fill a piping bag with some of the cream puff mixture Pipe small cream puffs (a little bigger than a regular teaspoon but round). Once piped, slightly flatted the top of the batter.
- Bake 10 minutes at 400°F. Turn heat down to 365°F and bake another 20 minutes, or until golden in color. Set aside to completely cool.
- Pipe cream into the bottom of the puffs or slice puffs in half and add cream and close, like a sandwich. Dust cream puffs with powdered sugar. Enjoy, friends!