Poppyseed cake cut into bars and coated with a dulce de leche cream and wafer crumbs. Such an easy and quick recipe.
The bars are so soft, delicious and great for any occasion, especially for parties or Holidays just like Zakarpatski Palochki.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The softest poppy seed cake bars dredged in a dulce de leche cream and coated with water and graham cracker crumbs. They taste like a really good cake but in individual-sized pieces.
TIPS for making poppy seed bars-
When dredging the bars into the cream, with a spatula, remove any excess cream or you won’t have enough cream and the bars will taste too rich. TIP- If you do enjoy your dessert really rich, make 1 ½ portion of the cream and generously coat the bars.
If you don’t have a hand-held blender, the wafers and graham crackers may be crushed in a Ziploc bag with a rolling pin.
The bars are great to make ahead of time. The cake may be baked up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container. Finish making the bars 2 days in advance.
I hope you enjoy the video of us making the bars, I absolutely HATE being in front of the camera, so this is me coming out of my shell BIG TIME! We had so much fun bringing the video to life. Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
Give these sweet dessert bars a try. They are especially fun to make with the kids if you enjoy baking with the kids.
Please leave us feedback in the comments below if you make the dessert. We love hearing from you.
Try these other great dessert recipes:
- Layered Coconut Cake – Soft yellow sponge cake with chocolate ganache and sweet cream with almonds.
- Truffle Cookie Kisses – Amazing Russian cookies.
- Rugelach Recipe – Flaky yet soft cookies with a meringue filling.
- Royal Delight Cake – Another delicious poppyseed cake with chocolate and meringue layers.
Poppy Seed Bars
- 14 oz cooked condensed milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 pack graham cracker, 9 crakers
- 4 vanilla wafers, optional
- 4 chocolate wafers, optional
- 4 strawberry wafers, optional
- Preheat oven to 355°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar. Add in oil, sour cream, poppy seeds, baking soda, and vinegar. Give a quick mix and sifted flour. Lightly fold in the flour until well incorporated.
- Add mixture into the prepared baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes. Once baked add to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Combine together cooked condensed milk and softened butter. Set aside.
- With a hand blender, crush the graham crackers and wafers. Combine in a bowl, set aside.
- Cut the poppy seed cake into either bars or strips. All equal sizes.
- Coat the poppy seed bars into the dulce de leche cream. (Do not overcoat the bars or you will not have enough cream.)
- Then dip into the crumbs. Keep covered for softness.
This recipe was originally posted, December of 2013 and is being updated with new images in July of 2019.