These Zakarpatski Palochki (Закарпатские палочки) are soft honey bars dredged in chocolate and coated with graham crackers with wafer crumbs.
The honey bars are great individual-sized desserts that can be made ahead of time – perfect for parties.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Soft and moist honey cake bars dipped in a rich chocolate ganache and covered in graham cracker crumbs. They are so easy and quick to make and really good to serve at potlucks or parties.
If you enjoy these Palochki, try our Poppyseed Cake Bars.
how to make zakarpatski palochki-
Cover two 9″x13″ baking pans with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Prepare Cake– Beat together eggs and sugar for about 5 minutes on high speed. Combine vinegar and baking soda then add to the eggs. with the sour cream and honey, and mix. Add in the flour and fold in with a spatula.
- Bake Cake– Bake 15-18 minutes, until golden in color. Set cakes aside to cool.
- Prepare Crumbs– With a blender, crush the crackers and wafers until really fine. Place in a large bowl.
- Prepare the Chocolate– In a saucepan, add butter and melt. Combine together cocoa and sugar. Add to the melted butter and stir to combine. Pour in the milk and turn off the heat. Stir vigorously until sugar is completely melted.
- Assemble Bars:
- Cut the cakes into bars or squares. Dip the bars into the cooled chocolate.
- Then fully coat the chocolate-dipped bars into the crackers.
I hope you give these Russian mini desserts a try and love them as much as we do! So easy to make and SO delicious.
- Pastry Triangles– Puff pastry triangles with a dulce de leche.
- Sweet Crunch Bites– For those that like walnuts.
- Truffle Cookie Kisses– Butter cookies in cocoa.
- Russian Korzinki– Mini tarts with a sweet filling.
Zakarpatski Palochki (Закарпатские палочки)
- 2 packs graham crackers, 18 crackers
- 3 vanilla wafers
- 3 strawberry wafers
- Preheat oven to 355°F. Cover (two) 9″x13″ baking pans with parchment paper and grease the pans.
- Beat sugar and eggs on high speed for 5 minutes with a blender. Combine the vinegar and baking soda and add the egg mixture. Add the sour cream and honey, mix until combined.
- Slowly add in the sifted flour in two batches.
- Bake at 355°F for 15-18 minutes. Check readiness with a toothpick, it should come out clean. Transfer cakes to a wire rack to cool.
- Add butter to large pot and place on the stove top on medium heat to melt. Combine the cocoa and sugar. Once butter melts add in the cocoa mixture and mix. Add the milk and mix until sugar melts. Remove from heat and cool.
- Cut cakes into bars or squares.
- Take the bars (few at a time) and completely submerge them into the chocolate.
- When retrieving (I like using a nylon fork ), pat bars against the bowl so any excess chocolate is left in the pot. (Too much chocolate on the bars will just make the crumbs get wet and mushy.) If the chocolate starts to get too thick, place it back on the stovetop.
- Coat the bars into the crumbs completely. Place onto a platter.
- Repeat with the remaining cake bars.