These Zakarpatski Palochki are soft honey bars dredged in chocolate and coated with graham crackers and wafer crumbs.
These Poppyseed Cake Bars were inspired by this recipe. If you enjoy these honey bars, you have to give them a try.
I am sure there is a different name for these but this is the name we grew up with. I’m guessing by the name, someone from Zakarpatiya came up with this recipe (just a wild guess, but most likely, it’s a good one ;).). These sweet honey bars are a great dessert to make for parties. I like that they are already individual pieces and you don’t have to worry about cutting them and how you will serve them. These soft bars dredged in chocolate and coated with graham crackers crumbs are so so good. Whenever someone brings them to a party or gathering, there are never leftovers. Kids and adults alike approve. I love to crush the graham crackers and wafers with my handheld blender, so easy. You can also use just flavored wafers (vanilla, chocolate or strawberry, or all three) or coconut flakes instead of graham crackers.
The way you cut these really does not have to be the way I did. You can cut them into squares, or into smaller pieces and not so long. The smaller you cut them, the more chocolate they will have on them. So whatever your preference is.
how to make Zakarpatski Palochki-
- Cover two 9″x13″ baking pans with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Prepare cake– Beat together eggs and sugar for about 5 minutes on high speed.
- Combine vinegar and baking soda then add to the eggs. Add sour cream and honey and mix.
- Add in flour and lightly fold in.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes. Set cakes aside to cool.
- Prepare crumbs– With a blender, crush the crackers and wafers until really fine. Place in a large bowl.
- Prepare the chocolate– In a saucepan aff butter and melt. Combine together cocoa and sugar, add to the melted butter and mix. Add milk and remove from heat. Mixing vigorously until sugar is completely melted.
- Making the bars– Cut the cakes into strips or bars. Dip the bars into the cooled chocolate.
- Then full coat the chocolate-dipped bars into the crackers.
- Repeat with the remaining cake bars.
Try these other great desserts:
- Pastry Triangles– Puff pastry dessert made with a dulce de leche filling.
- Sweet Crunch Bites– A delicious cookie recipe.
- Truffle Cookie Kisses– Simple cookies with a sugar coating.
- Korzinki– Mini tarts with a sweet filling.
Zakarpatski Palochki (Закарпатские палочки)
- 2 packs graham crackers 18 crackers
- 3 vanilla wafers
- 3 strawberry wafers
- Cover two 9″x13″ baking pans with parchment paper and butter pans. Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Prepare cake. On medium/high speed, beat eggs and sugar for 5 minutes. Combine the vinegar and baking soda and add to eggs. Also, add the sour cream and honey. Mix about 30-45 seconds, until incorporated.
- Add one cup flour, mix, add the second cup.
- Bake 15 – 18 minutes. Check readiness with a toothpick, it should come out clean. Transfer cakes to wire rack to cool. (I go around the cake with a spatula to make sure it’s not sticking to the pan before removing cakes.)
- Prepare crumbs. Either with a rolling pin in a Ziploc bag or a blender , crush graham crackers and wafers until really fine. Place in large bowl and set aside.
- Prepare chocolate. Add butter to large pot and place on stove top on medium heat to melt. Meanwhile, mix the cocoa and sugar. Once butter melts, add the sugar/cocoa mixing as you add. Add the milk. Turn off heat but keep pan on. Keep mixing until sugar completely melts, remove from heat to cool.
- Cut cakes. You can either cut them vertically into about ten strips and horizontally once. Or you can cut them twice horizontally (they will be much smaller)
- Once both cakes are cut and chocolate has cooled, take the bars, few at a time and completely submerge them into the chocolate.
- When retrieving (I like using a nylon fork ), pat against the pot so any excess chocolate is left in the pot. (Too much chocolate on the bars will just make the crumbs get wet and mushy.) If the chocolate starts to get too thick, place it back on the stove top.)
- Coat the bars into the crumbs completely. Place onto a platter.
- Repeat with the remaining cake bars. ENJOY!