An easy Traditional Solyanka Soup Recipe. The hearty soup is loaded with ham, pickles, and olives served with fresh dill and sour cream.
The name Solyanka derives from “salt” and originates from Ukraine back in the 17th century. Ever since then it has become a favorite in the Russian and Ukrainian kitchens.
– Celery Stalk – Water – Chicken Broth – Pickles – Olives – Carrot – Tomatoes – Ham
1. Cut celery into four parts. 2. In a large pot, bring water, chicken broth and celery to a boil.
3. Meanwhile, julienne the pickles into thin, short strands or cubes. Slice olives into thin rings. Cube carrots. Finely dice tomatoes. Cube ham.
4. Chop the onion and add to a skillet with the 2 Tbsp butter. 5. Cook on medium heat until onions are completely sautéed and soft.
6. Once onions are sautéed, add the cubed carrots. Sauté until carrots are fully cooked, stirring as needed. Add the flour, mix quickly.
7. Once the water/broth and celery come to a boil, remove and discard celery. Add the pickles and let boil five minutes. Add ham and olives.
8. Add the sautéed ingredients to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and 10 minutes. 9. Add the chopped herbs.
10. When serving, add fresh lemon juice with a dollop of sour cream to bowl with fresh herbs if desired.