Sorrel Soup is a Traditional soup recipe in Russian Cuisine and is absolutely delicious. A hearty soup loaded with potatoes, meat, veggies, and sorrel leaves! The green borscht is tangy yet so flavorful.
This soup is a family favorite, even the picky eaters love the soup! Green borscht is made with chicken, sorrel leaves, potatoes, boiled eggs, and sautéed vegetables.
What does sorrel soup taste like? The sorrel leaves add a tangy flavor to the recipe, similar to spinach but more acidic.
What is Sorrel Soup? The soup often also goes by Green Borscht, Green Schi and is made up of water or broth, sorrel leaves, and vegetables.
HOW TO MAKE SORREL SOUP-
- In a large pot or Dutch oven bring water and broth to a boil.
- Add the meat, and seasoning. Cook over med/high heat for 10 minutes, removing any scum that rises to the top.
- Add potatoes to the pot, cook until potatoes are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions until tender. Add carrots and cook until tender.
- Add ketchup and sour cream, stir well.
- Once potatoes are cooked, add sorrel, eggs, sautéed vegetables, and herbs to the pot.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the sorrel is soft.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy.
Serve the soup with a dollop of sour cream and homemade bread like the Russian Bread.
You can use fresh sorrel leaves for this recipe but you can also use frozen sorrel leaves. Learn how to freeze sorrel leaves HERE!
MORE CLASSIC RUSSIAN RECIPES:
The Russian and Ukrainian Cuisine is what we grew up eating, the recipes are just so unique and delicious! Here are some other classic Russian foods to try:
Sorrel Soup Recipe (Green Borscht)
- 8 cups water
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs or breast, cubed
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp Vegeta or your favorite seasoning
- ½ tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 lb potatoes diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 4 cups packed sorrel leaves
- 2 Tbsp dill chopped
- 2 Tbsp parsley or cilantro chopped
- 2 boiled eggs grated
- sour cream or mayo to serve
- In a pot, bring water and broth to a boil. Add the meat, salt, vegeta and black pepper. Cook over med/high for 10 minutes. Skim off any scum that rises to the top.
- Add potatoes to the pot and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp oil and onion, saute until onions are tender.
- Add grated carrots and 1 Tbsp oil, sauté until carrots are tender.
- Add ketchup and sour cream, stir well. Remove from heat.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add the sorrel, eggs, sautéed vegetables mixture and herbs to the pot. Turn heat down and simmer for about 3 minutes, or until the sorrel is tender.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.