An easy Traditional Solyanka Soup Recipe. The hearty soup is loaded with ham, pickles, and olives served with fresh dill and sour cream. The soup joins our Beet Borscht for traditional Russian soup recipes.
WHAT IS SOLYANKA?
The name Solyanka derives from “salt” and originates from Ukraine back to the 17th century. Ever since then it has become a favorite in the Russian and Ukrainian kitchens. It’s a sour soup with meat and pickles served with sour cream and fresh dill.
Though there are many renditions of the Solyanka Soup; it is normally made with meat, fish or can be vegetarian.
- Vegetables– We use celery, carrot, tomatoes and onion in the soup.
- Butter– To saute the vegetables.
- Liquid– We used water and chicken broth for the liquid, you can use chicken bouillon if you need to substitute the broth.
- Meat– Ham goes great in this soup.
- Pickle & brine– Shred, julienne or finely cube the pickles, be sure to keep some of the brine.
- Olives– Olives give the soup such a unique taste.
- Salt and Black pepper– Season to taste.
- Sour cream– To make a paste.
- Flour– Works as a thickening agent.
- Fresh Herbs– We like dill and cilantro but you can add parsley.
- To serve– Serve with fresh lemon and sour cream.
How to Make Solyanka Soup Recipe-
- Cut, slice or cube the vegetable.
- In a large pot, add the broth, water and celery and bring to a boil.
- In a large skillet, sauté onion on medium high heat until tender.
- Then add carrot and cook until tender.
- Add the diced tomatoes, pickle brine and sour cream, stir to combine.
- Add flour and whisk vigorously. Remove from heat.
- Remove celery from the pot and add pickles, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the sauteed mixture, ham and olives. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add herbs, stir and turn off the soup.
- Serve and enjoy.
Serve With- Serve solyanka with fresh slices of lemon (or lemon juice) and a dollop of sour cream.
- Store: Store the Soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Add soup to the freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Reheat: Reheat the soup over low heat until reheated.
More Russian Soup Recipes-
Solyanka Soup Recipe
- 1 celery stalk
- 4 cups water
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 3 pickles, julienned or cubed
- 1 cup olives, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, cubed or shredded
- 1/2 cup cubed tomatoes
- 16 oz ham, cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ½ Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup pickling brine
- 2 tsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- sour cream
- Cut celery into four parts.
- In a large pot, bring water, chicken broth and celery to a boil.
- Meanwhile, julienne the pickles into thin, short strands or cubes. Slice olives into thin rings. Cube carrots. Finely dice tomatoes. Cube ham.
- Chop the onion and add to a skillet with the 2 Tbsp butter.
- Cook on medium heat until onions are completely sautéed and soft (4-6 minutes).
- Once onions are sautéed, add the cubed carrots. Sauté until carrots are fully cooked, stirring as needed. Add the flour, mix quickly. Add the diced tomato, pickling brine, sour cream and mix. Set aside. Turn off heat.
- Once the water/broth and celery come to a boil, remove and discard celery. Add the pickles and let boil five minutes. Add ham and olives.
- Add the sautéed ingredients to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped herbs.
- When serving, add fresh lemon juice with a dollop of sour cream to bowl with fresh herbs if desired.