Unique Russian Solyanka (Солянка) Soup Recipe. A hearty sour solyanka soup with ham, pickles, and olives, served with fresh dill and sour cream.
Another classic Russian soup you will like is this Sorrel Soup.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
what is Solyanka?
The name Solyanka derives from “salt” and originates from Ukraine back to the 17th century. Ever since then it has become a favorite in the Russian and Ukrainian kitchens. Sour soup with meat and pickles served with sour cream and fresh dill. This soup is often enjoyed with fresh Russian bread.
what goes in this soup?
The meat of choice. Ham, sausages, chicken, or beef are different meats most often used in Solyanka soup recipes.
Tomatoes, olives, pickles are the most used added ingredients.
tips on how to make solyanka soup-
- First, you want to cube or grate the vegetables into similar sizes so they cook evenly.
- You can substitute fresh tomatoes with tomato paste.
- This soup is so simple to make. Bring broth and water to a boil. Saute vegetables. Add pickles, ham and olives, and sauteed mixture to the soup. Simmer and done!
I hope you enjoy the recipe for this classic Russian soup. If you make the soup, please tag us on social media. We’d love to see your creations. 🙂 #ValentinasCorner
Other recipes to enjoy:
- Sausage Orzo Soup– Hearty soup with Italian sausage, vegetables and orzo with a spicy kick.
- Simple Russian Soup– Simple soup with meat, potatoes, vegetables, and noodles.
- Beef Cabbage Soup– The best comfort soup recipe.
- Russian Borscht Recipe– A classic red borscht soup.
Solyanka Soup Recipe
- 1 celery stalk
- 4 cups water
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 3 pickles, julienned or cubed
- 1 cup olives, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, cubed or shredded
- 1/2 cup cubed tomatoes
- 16 oz ham, cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ½ Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup pickling brine
- 2 tsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- sour cream
- Cut celery into four parts.
- In a large pot, bring water, chicken broth and celery to a boil.
- Meanwhile, julienne the pickles into thin, short strands or cubes. Slice olives into thin rings. Cube carrots. Finely dice tomatoes. Cube ham.
- Chop the onion and add to a skillet with the 2 Tbsp butter.
- Cook on medium heat until onions are completely sautéed and soft (4-6 minutes).
- Once onions are sautéed, add the cubed carrots. Sauté until carrots are fully cooked, stirring as needed. Add the flour, mix quickly. Add the diced tomato, pickling brine, sour cream and mix. Set aside. Turn off heat.
- Once the water/broth and celery come to a boil, remove and discard celery. Add the pickles and let boil five minutes. Add ham and olives.
- Add the sautéed ingredients to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped herbs.
- When serving, add fresh lemon juice with a dollop of sour cream to bowl with fresh herbs if desired.