Unique Russian Solyanka (Солянка) Soup Recipe. A hearty sour solyanka soup with ham, pickles, and olives, served with fresh dill and sour cream.
PIN this recipe to your soup board HERE!
WHAT IS SOLYANKA?
The name Solyanka derives from “salt” and originates from Ukraine back to the 17th century. Since then, it’s become a favorite in the Russian and Ukrainian kitchens. Solyanka (Солянка) Recipe is a classic Russian/Ukrainian Soup. A sour soup with meat and pickles served with sour cream and fresh dill. This soup is often enjoyed with fresh Russian bread.
WHAT GOES INTO SOLYANKA SOUP?
A meat of choice. Ham, sausages, chicken or beef are different meats most often used in Solyanka soup recipes.
Tomatoes, olives, pickles are most used added ingredients. However, you’ll also see potatoes or cabbage added for a more hearty soup.
TIPS HOW TO MAKE SOLYANKA SOUP.
You want to cube or grate the vegetables to be similar in sizes so they cook evenly.
Tomato paste may be used instead of the fresh tomatoes/ketchup.
This soup is so simple to make. Bring broth and water to a boil. Saute vegetables. Add pickles, ham and olives and sauteed mixture to the soup. Simmer and done!
I hope you enjoy the recipe for this classic Russian soup, Solyanka. If you make the soup, please tag us on social media. We’d love to see your creations. 🙂 #ValentinasCorner
OTHER RECIPES TO ENJOY:
ITALIAN SAUSAGE, ORZO, AND VEGETABLE SOUP- Hearty soup with Italian sausage, vegetables and orzo with a spicy kick.
SIMPLE RUSSIAN SOUP- Simple soup with meat, potatoes, vegetables and noodles.
Solyanka Soup Recipe
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 carrot, cubbed or shredded
- 1 celery stalk
- 3 pickles, julienned or cubed
- 1 cup olives, sliced thin
- 16 oz ham, cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup cubed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pickling brine
- 2 tsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- sour cream
- Cut celery into four parts.
- In a large pot, bring water, chicken broth and celery to a boil.
- Meanwhile, julienne the pickles into thin, short strands or cubes. Slice olives into thin rings. Cube carrots. Finely dice tomatoes. Cube ham.
- Chop the onion and add to a skillet with the 2 Tbsp butter.
- Cook on medium heat until onions are completely sautéed and soft (4-6 minutes).
- Once onions are sautéed, add the cubed carrots. Sauté until carrots are fully cooked, stirring as needed. Add the flour, mix quickly. Add the diced tomato, pickling brine, sour cream and mix. Set aside. Turn off heat.
- Once the water/broth and celery come to a boil, remove and discard celery. Add the pickles and let boil five minutes. Add ham and olives.
- Add the sautéed ingredients to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped herbs.
- When serving, add fresh lemon juice with a dollop of sour cream to bowl with fresh herbs if desired.
UPDATING AN OLD POST!