This 30-minute Beet Borscht Soup Recipe is a simplified version of the classic Russian Borscht. The soup is so healthy and loaded with vegetables in a delicious soup base. Beets with cabbage and potatoes with herbs and seasonings – so GOOD!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My sister-in-law Kristen introduced me to this version of borscht and once you try it, it is going to become a new favorite with you as well. Not only is it so much easier to make, but it also tastes just as wonderful as the traditional version! The combination of beets with potatoes, carrots, pepper, celery and of course cabbage makes for an amazing soup. It’s packed with nutrients and vitamins from all the vegetables.
what goes into a beet soup-
BEETS- Beets are the main ingredients in borscht. You want to use uncooked beets and grate them.
CABBAGE- For best results, use white cabbage with softer leaves. TIP: If you don’t want the cabbage really soft, add it into the soup later than indicated. NOTE: For even shredding use this mandoline slicer.
POTATOES- Idaho, Russet or Yukon gold are all great potatoes for the soup.
VEGETABLES- Since this is a vegetable soup, I like adding onion, celery and red pepper; you can add whichever veggies you personally like.
SEASONINGS- Sugar is an unexpected ingredient you’d think, but, it balances the flavors and is wonderful in the soup along with the salt, pepper, garlic and lemon juice. (P.S. If you love Vegeta, you can add some as well and cut back on the salt.)
HERBS- We love a ton of herbs in the soup, and typically add more than the indicated proportions. You can use any herbs you love with great results.
30-minute beet soup-
Okay, this soup will be completely ready in under 30 minutes if you will follow the recipe, I am being serious. Basically, as the initial vegetables are cooking, you prep the next ones, adding them as they’re prepped, saving time this way.
NOTE: This recipe doesn’t have meat, however, if your spouse absolutely MUST have meat in the soup, add some cooked diced ham to the soup or leftover chicken meat.
how long will borscht soup last?
Borscht soup gets better as it sits, this soup can be refrigerated up to 5 days.
how do I reheat borscht?
To reheat the borsch, don’t reheat all the soup if you don’t need it all. Reheat the amount of soup needed in a saucepan.
what is borscht soup served with?
Serve soup with a dollop of sour cream or mayo and fresh herbs.
Make a large pot of the beet soup and enjoy it for days! It’s great for when you know you’ll be busy and don’t have to worry about what to make. Don’t forget to leave us feedback in the comments below, we love hearing from you. 🙂
Try these other Soup recipes:
- Meatball Noodle Soup– Soup with juicy meatballs.
- The Best Easy Chili Recipe– The best comfort food!
- Sorrel Soup– Another classic Russian soup!
- Beef Cabbage Soup– Delicious and hearty soup recipe.
Beet Borscht Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium uncooked beets, shredded
- 1/2 red pepper, cubed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 8 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 large potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 head white cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp dill, chopped
- 2 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Finely chop the onion and shred the carrots.
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, heat the oil and butter. Add the onions and carrots and saute until tender, about 5 min.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the celery, cube the pepper, grate the beets and dice the tomatoes.
- Add to the Dutch oven and saute another 5 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Mix in the garlic.
- Add the broth, water, bay leaves, potatoes and bring to a soft boil.
- Meanwhile, grate the cabbage.
- Add the cabbage, salt, pepper and sugar to the soup.
- Cook 12-15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes and cabbage are tender, add the lemon juice and herbs.
- Enjoy, friends.