Classic Russian Shuba Salad Recipe, aka Dressed Herring or Herring Under a Fur Coat. Layers of cooked vegetables over herring fish with a garlic mayo spread between each layer.
This traditional salad is served at most holidays and parties, just like the popular Olivier Salad.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
what is shuba?
Shuba is layers of cooked vegetables diced or grated with mayo and seasoning between the layers.
Herring fish is typically the base of the salad followed by onion, potatoes, eggs, carrots and topped with beets.
NOTE: The salad is NOT for everyone, that I will tell you, ha. I actually hated the salad until recently because my taste buds are getting older (if that’s such a thing).
how to make shuba salad-
Shuba salad can be served in individual cups, on a platter or like we have here. We used a springform pan and placed a can in the middle. Once all the layers were in, you just remove the pan and cup and have yourself a beautifully layered salad that’s so pretty to serve at parties or the holidays.
COOK VEGETABLES: Cook all the vegetables (this can be done one day in advance).
BEETS- Add beets to pot and cover with water. Cook until beets easily pierce. It takes about 45 minutes, depending on the size of the beets. The beets can also be roasted, this is my favorite way of preparing the beets, they keep more of their flavor this way. Place beets in foil and drizzle with oil, close foil and bake until beets are tender about 45-60 minutes.
CARROTS/POTATOES- Place potatoes and carrots in a pot with skin on, cover with water and cook until easily pierces about 20 minutes. Drain water and set aside to cool.
EGGS- Add eggs to pot, cover with cold water and boil 15 minutes. Drain the eggs and cover with cold water.
prepare the vegetables.
Peel the skin of the potatoes, carrots, and eggs.
Finely chop the herring and the onion. If you cut the fish into really fine pieces, it won’t overpower the rest of the ingredients so much.
Grate the potatoes, carrots, eggs, and beets; keep all the vegetables in different bowls. TIP: For decor, I reserved two egg yolks and grated them on top.
assemble the layered herring salad-
Mix together the mayo and garlic. The garlic is the secret to the BEST shuba salad!
1st layer- Mix together the herring and onions. This will help remove the aftertaste of the herring and it won’t be so pungent. Promise, it’s a game-changer.
Add mayo over the herring and season with only pepper.
2nd layer-Add the potatoes spread mayo generously and season with both salt and pepper. Potatoes are very bland and need the mayo and seasoning.
3rd layer- Add the eggs and give it a very light mayo coating.
4th layer- Add the grated carrots and mayo and season with salt and pepper.
5th layers- Finally add the grated beets and give the last layer a light coat of mayo. Decorate as desired.
You can either remove the sides and center carefully immediately or do so before serving.
Is this layered beet salad one your mom made frequently growing up? What was your personal spin on it? I’d love to hear all about it, I like to try new things.
I hope you love the Shuba salad and the presentation we have! Thanks, friends. <3
try these other classic Ukrainian recipes:
- 3/4 lb pickled herring fish, finely cubed
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 med/large potatoes, cooked and grated
- 6 boiled eggs, grated
- 3 large carrots, cooked and grated
- 3 cooked beets, grated
- 1 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, cook the potatoes and carrots. In a separate pot, cook the eggs.
- Cook or roast the beets.
- Once cooked, peel and shred the potatoes, carrots, beet, and eggs. Set aside 2 egg yolks for top for decor.
- Finely chop the sweet onion. Cube the herring fish into small cubes. Combine the onion and fish.
- Combine the mayo and minced garlic.
- On a large plate, place an 8 - 9" springform pan ring on the plate a cup in the center.
- Place the onion and fish mixture onto the plate as the first layer and finely pat down.
- Top with a light layer of the mayo mixture. Season with just pepper.
- Next, add the shredded potatoes and generously cover with the mayo mixture and season with both salt and pepper.
- Add the shredded eggs and lightly coat with mayo. Then the carrots as the next layer. Spread with another layer of mayo. season with both salt and pepper.
- Top with the shredded beets and a light layer of mayo. Season with pepper and decorate as desired.
- Refrigerate for about an hour or overnight. Remove springform pan then the cup from the salad.
- Serve and enjoy!