This classic Pierogi Dough Recipe is that ultimate homemade dough. A soft and elastic dough that is easy to work with and so versatile.
The dough may be used as your basic dough for pierogi, pelmeni, and vareniki.
Pierogi Dough Recipe-
I love working with this soft and smooth elastic dough. The dough is my go-to recipe for savory recipes like pierogi and pelmeni and sweet vareniki.
what are pierogies?
Pierogies are dumplings made with this homemade dough and filled with a savory or sweet filling. The dumplings are then boiled or steamed and then tossed in butter and served.
our favorite recipes using this dough-
how to make homemade Pierogi Dough-
- Place the dough hook on to your Kitchen Aid mixer. In the mixing bowl, add the milk, salt, egg, water, and combine.
- Add in four cups of flour, and mix until well combined. Add more flour as needed. You want the dough to be soft and elastic and not stick to your hands. We usually always end up using 4 1/4 cups flour.
- Keep the dough covered in the bowl and let the dough rest until it’s ready to be used. The dough will become soft and pliable once its rested.
Tips for making the BEST pierogi dough-
- FLOUR– The amount of flour you need will depend on the type of flour you use. Start off with 4 cups then slowly add more by tablespoons. The dough should NOT stick to your hands when you pinch it.
- REST TIME– When you allow the dough to rest about 15 minutes before you work with it, the dough will become soft and pliable and will be easier to work with.
Can I Freeze the dough?
Yes, you can freeze the dough if you have any leftovers.
- Just add the dough into a floured freezer bag and freeze.
- When you are ready to defrost the dough, just remove it the day before you want to use and let it thaw in the fridge.
- Be sure to generously flour your working surface.
Thank you for trying our basic pierogi dough recipe. Let us know if you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback!
EASY Pierogi Dough Recipe
An easy recipe for Pierogi dough. Soft, pliable dough that is so easy to work with and foolproof. This post will teach you how to make the perfect dough,
Servings: 1 batch
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, measured then sifted**
- Attach the dough hook to the Kitchen Aid mixer. Mix the milk, salt, egg and water.
- Add the flour, continue mixing until the dough is smooth and flour is well incorporated. (Dough should not stick to your hands.)
- Allow the dough to rest 15-30 minutes before using it. Be sure to keep dough tightly covered so it doesn't get dry.
**Start off with 4 cups of flour and slowly continue adding flour until you reach a soft dough that does NOT stick to your hands.
Calories: 2096kcalCarbohydrates: 414gProtein: 66gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 180mgSodium: 2477mgPotassium: 844mgFiber: 14gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 501IUCalcium: 288mgIron: 25mg
(The nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)